Old 11-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Janice

Default Hellebore Seeds

In late spring, I gathered the seeds from my hellebores and sowed them
immediately into pots. I put the pots into a shady corner throughout the
summer, and kept the soil damp. Several months later, there are no
seedlings at all, no sign of any growth whatsoever.

Can I assume that the seeds have failed? Or will the seedlings sprout when
it turns colder, or next spring?

I don't want to baby along pots of soil, if that's all I'll end up with!!

Thanks

Old 11-09-2003, 11:28 PM
TheGardener

"Janice" wrote in message
news
In late spring, I gathered the seeds from my hellebores and sowed them
immediately into pots. I put the pots into a shady corner throughout the
summer, and kept the soil damp. Several months later, there are no
seedlings at all, no sign of any growth whatsoever.

Can I assume that the seeds have failed? Or will the seedlings sprout
when
it turns colder, or next spring?

I don't want to baby along pots of soil, if that's all I'll end up with!!

Thanks

As you sowed the seeds fresh from your plants, there's no reason why they
shouldn't germinate. However, they need stratification, so they won't
germinate until next spring. So don't throw those pots out!
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 11-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janice
writes
In late spring, I gathered the seeds from my hellebores and sowed them
immediately into pots. I put the pots into a shady corner throughout the
summer, and kept the soil damp. Several months later, there are no
seedlings at all, no sign of any growth whatsoever.

Can I assume that the seeds have failed? Or will the seedlings sprout when
it turns colder, or next spring?

Next spring, if they're going to.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janice" wrote in message
news
In late spring, I gathered the seeds from my hellebores and sowed them
immediately into pots. I put the pots into a shady corner throughout the
summer, and kept the soil damp. Several months later, there are no
seedlings at all, no sign of any growth whatsoever.

Can I assume that the seeds have failed? Or will the seedlings sprout
when
it turns colder, or next spring?

I don't want to baby along pots of soil, if that's all I'll end up with!!

Keep them outside in the cold over winter in order to stratify. They are
then likely to germinate in the spring.

Franz

Old 12-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"Janice" wrote in message
news
In late spring, I gathered the seeds from my hellebores and sowed them
immediately into pots. I put the pots into a shady corner throughout the
summer, and kept the soil damp. Several months later, there are no
seedlings at all, no sign of any growth whatsoever.

Can I assume that the seeds have failed? Or will the seedlings sprout

when
it turns colder, or next spring?

I don't want to baby along pots of soil, if that's all I'll end up with!!

Keep them outside in the cold over winter in order to stratify. They are
then likely to germinate in the spring.

Franz

I find actually that they often germinate in December or soon after.
They need a period of warmth followed by a period of cold and actually
germinate while it's still cold - unlike many seeds. You can then be
pricking them out by February or March.

Janet G

Hellebore sale Much Hadham 12th Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 3 09-02-2005 08:36 PM
Hellebore Seeds Janice United Kingdom 2 11-09-2003 11:18 PM
Collecting Hellebore Seeds Adrian Jones United Kingdom 3 08-05-2003 12:32 AM
Hellebore seedlings ... Tugger United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 10:44 AM
Hellebore Orientalis Jack United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 12:29 AM