Thin tomato stems

Old 09-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Janice

Default Thin tomato stems

I've grown some tomato plants in growbags in a greenhouse. Got lots of
tomatoes (although they're still green).

But the stem at the base of each plant is very thin and weak (the stems are
thick at the top). Fortunately, I supported the plants on strings so
they're okay, but without the supports there's no way the stems would be
able to hold the plant.

What did I do wrong and how do I avoid weak, thin stems in future?

Thanks

Old 11-09-2003, 04:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Janice" wrote in message
I've grown some tomato plants in growbags in a greenhouse. Got lots of
tomatoes (although they're still green).

But the stem at the base of each plant is very thin and weak (the stems

are
thick at the top). Fortunately, I supported the plants on strings so
they're okay, but without the supports there's no way the stems would be
able to hold the plant.

What did I do wrong and how do I avoid weak, thin stems in future?

You probably grew the seedlings on in too much heat and/or too little light.
This makes them tall and 'leggy'.
Plants grown in strong light and lower temperatures tend to be more stocky.

This problem can arise with outdoor tomatoes if they are started indoors too
early, and then are kept waiting because it is too cold to put them outside.

Basically anything that makes the seedlings tall and thin can cause this.

HTH
Dave R

Old 12-09-2003, 08:43 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
snip
Basically anything that makes the seedlings tall and thin can cause this.

P.S. if you do have leggy tomato seedlings then plant them as deep as you
can - get as much stem as possible underground (removing leaves where
necessary).
The above ground growth should thicken up nicely once conditions are more
suitable.