Old 21-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands
Question Japanese Acer

We have recently moved into a new property and have a well establised Japanese Acer that needs to be moved.
When is the best time for this move and how should it be doene?
Old 22-09-2003, 09:14 PM
DaveDay34

Default Japanese Acer

--
jenlbrett

The tree should be moved when dormant (over the winter) but not when there is a
risk of the roots being damaged by frost. Most Acers aren't too large, so I'm
guessing that for the size of tree you probably have, you need to dig round the
rootball, then cut underneath with a spade, leaving as much of the rootball
intact and undisturbed as possible. When the tree is completely free from the
surrounding soil it can be tipped or tilted to one side and something like a
plastic tarpauline pushed under it. Tilt the tree the oposite way so the tarp
can be pulled out the other side. Take the edges/corners of the tarp and lift
up round the tree and secure to the trunk if possible. Then lift the tree
carefully and move to the new site where the planting depth should be the same
as the depth of the hole you just took the tree out of. Fill in afterwards
with soil, fertiliser, etc. as needed.

I may have missed some small details off, but basically that's a reasonable
guide, though you need to use some common sense depending on what soil you
have, how big the tree is, how far you want to move it, etc.

I hope this helps. If you need any more specific questions answered, just ask
away.

Dave.

Acer Japanese tribon Gardening 6 23-03-2005 03:46 AM
Acer Garnet - Japanese Maple Gardening 0 06-05-2003 09:20 PM
Acer Garnet - Japanese Maple Phisherman Gardening 0 01-05-2003 01:56 AM
Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) jimitheskin Bonsai 1 11-04-2003 03:20 PM
[IBC] Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) kevin bailey Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 09:56 AM