Old 25-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Tony waterston

Default passion fruit

i have several orange fruit on my passiflora and have opened one to find
loads of red jelly like seeds inside,very sweet and crunchy they are too,
but could anyone tell me how to propagate from these seeds ,do i need to dry
them out first, and when do i need to plant them, thanx in advance, tony

Old 25-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Martin Sykes

"Tony waterston" wrote in message
i have several orange fruit on my passiflora and have opened one to find
loads of red jelly like seeds inside,very sweet and crunchy they are too,
but could anyone tell me how to propagate from these seeds ,do i need to

dry
them out first, and when do i need to plant them, thanx in advance, tony

Last year I just dried them off and sowed immediately. They germinated very
quickly and survived the winter in a cold greehouse ( probably just as good
outside ). One I planted out this spring is away into the hedge about 8ft
tall. No flowers on it this year though.

Martin & Anna Sykes

Old 26-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Jason Pope

Tony waterston wrote:
i have several orange fruit on my passiflora and have opened one to
find loads of red jelly like seeds inside,very sweet and crunchy they
are too, but could anyone tell me how to propagate from these seeds
,do i need to dry them out first, and when do i need to plant them,
thanx in advance, tony

You can plant them directly into pots of seed compost, without drying,
and they should
grow, although germination is somewhat erratic with P.caerulea

You can plant them anytime although as the winter sets in you'll have to
keep the young plants out of the frost in a greenhouse, conservatory,
windowsill!

Cheers

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....sort=3&rows=50

Old 26-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Jason Pope

Martin Sykes wrote:
"Tony waterston" wrote in message

i have several orange fruit on my passiflora and have opened one to find
loads of red jelly like seeds inside,very sweet and crunchy they are too,
but could anyone tell me how to propagate from these seeds ,do i need to

dry

them out first, and when do i need to plant them, thanx in advance, tony

Last year I just dried them off and sowed immediately. They germinated very
quickly and survived the winter in a cold greehouse ( probably just as good
outside ). One I planted out this spring is away into the hedge about 8ft
tall. No flowers on it this year though.

Martin & Anna Sykes

I planted some dried seeds this year and have had both flowers and fruit
this year. The good long spell of dry, sunny weather was excellent for
them!

Cheers

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and Passiflora edulis
seeds. (passion flower)