Old 07-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default clearing waste land to plant new veg garden

The message
from "Dave Painter" contains these words:

But OP was after ideas so hopefully they are looking into the multi variety
tree as a possibility.

Well, when the right shaped tuits arrive I intend to have a 'family
tree' with as many varieties as sensibly I can bud or graft on.

I think the main tree will be either a Bramley or a Charles Ross.

But I want a proper Cox, russet, Beauty of Bath for starters, then thre
is a costard I want, and several other varieties.

No, I really haven't got the room for another tree.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 07-10-2003, 02:50 AM
Martin Brown

In message , David Hill
writes
".......... You can get a selection of different apples
grafted to your basic rootstock AFAIK the limit is three different, so you
can have an early cropper a
late cropper and possibly a cooker too. ....."

Sounds good but you might have problems with pollination as many apples need
another variety (Or 2 in some cases) to pollinate them, and they have to be
in flower at the same time.

OTOH if there are other apple trees in the neighbourhood a family tree
makes some sense. Even a modest one after a few years can carry enough
crop to be overwhelming for early apples. The only problem is keeping
the two (harder three) parts of the tree growing in balance.

Incidentally - any recommendations for a good flavoured reliable early
apple to grow and fruit well on heavy clay in N Yorkshire ? Not in a
frost pocket but very windy.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 07-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Dave Painter

"David Hill" wrote in message
".......... You can get a selection of different apples
grafted to your basic rootstock AFAIK the limit is three different, so you
can have an early cropper a
late cropper and possibly a cooker too. ....."

Sounds good but you might have problems with pollination as many apples

need
another variety (Or 2 in some cases) to pollinate them, and they have to

be
in flower at the same time.

Garden News dated 1 October 2003 - Page 11

'Fit in fruit'
M27 rootstock frows to about 6ft/2m high.
Self fertile varieties - Queen cox self fertile, Red devil, red windsor,
saturn, red falstaff.

Conventional varieties Bramleys seedling, James Grieve, Ashmeads Kernel.
Need one or two pollinators, depending on variety, which is why I said you
get three varieties on one rootstock earlier.

M27 needs staking and grows in a tub.

M9 is another dwarfuing rootstock 5ft/1.5m high

5lb/2.5Kg of fruit per season is reasonable.

Columns, step overs and espaliers are also mentioned as good ways to get a
lot of fruit from a little space.

Dave

Old 07-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Dave Painter

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Dave Painter" contains these

words:

But OP was after ideas so hopefully they are looking into the multi

variety
tree as a possibility.

Well, when the right shaped tuits arrive I intend to have a 'family
tree' with as many varieties as sensibly I can bud or graft on.

I think the main tree will be either a Bramley or a Charles Ross.

But I want a proper Cox, russet, Beauty of Bath for starters, then thre
is a costard I want, and several other varieties.

No, I really haven't got the room for another tree.

Reading the newspaper recently, this was mentioned in passing.

AFAICR you could get a decent rootstock with something grafted on. (Or two
or three)
as a family tree, and you can graft on year by year as you aquire new
varieties.

Tree would need a LOT of TLC, especially pruning to keep the balance right.

But can I point out, espaliers/step overs?
They don't take up a lot of room, being more in the nature of a hedge than a
tree.
IYSWIM.

Dave

Old 07-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Dave Painter" contains these words:

M27 needs staking and grows in a tub.

I thought that was where all the cones came from......

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 07-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Dave Painter

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Dave Painter" contains these

words:

M27 needs staking and grows in a tub.

I thought that was where all the cones came from......

That would be M6 at the moment, just where the new M6 toll joins.

Dave