Agricultural land used as garden ? Was Rotovation

Old 16-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Me

Default Agricultural land used as garden ? Was Rotovation

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:06:28 +0100, "John Towill"
wrote:
In thread "Rotovation"

I am going to rotovate part of my garden this weekend (it was a pony

paddock
that we have purchased from a neighbour that is uneven and pretty bare) in
preparation for grass seeding and I wondered if anyone could offer any
tips/advice, especially with regards to what type of grass seed to use.
I want a hard wearing, nice looking lawn but not a bowling green!

Many thanks

Dave

Rather negative this, but don't turn it into a garden, eg put in flower
beds. To do this you will need planning permission, if done without it
could leed to a lot of greef. I am assuming that as it was a pony paddock
it will be designated as agricultural land.
Cheers
John T

If I were to buy a little bit of an adjacent field from a farmer to
extend my garden would I therefore need planning permission to grow
anything but grass ?.

The idear might be, it seems building land is expensive, agricultural
land is cheap, buy a home with a small garden next to agricultural
land, extend size of garden.

Paul
Old 16-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Me contains these words:

If I were to buy a little bit of an adjacent field from a farmer to
extend my garden would I therefore need planning permission to grow
anything but grass ?.

If you were changing it from agricultural use you are likely to need
pp for change of use, which may be refused. Local Plans in rural areas
usually set a boundary between permitted housing development and
designated greenbelt. There are well documented cases of people buying
designated agricultural land, extending their designated "housing plot"
into it, falling foul of their Local Plan and having to return their
garden to pasture.

The idear might be, it seems building land is expensive, agricultural
land is cheap, buy a home with a small garden next to agricultural
land, extend size of garden.

Very naive. Even if you could persuade a farmer to sell, it wouldn't
be at agricultural land rate. Farmers aren't stupid, they know what
extra land adds to the value of a domestic property, and would set the
price accordingly.

Janet

Old 16-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Sad Sid

If I were to buy a little bit of an adjacent field from a farmer to
extend my garden would I therefore need planning permission to grow
anything but grass ?.

The idear might be, it seems building land is expensive, agricultural
land is cheap, buy a home with a small garden next to agricultural
land, extend size of garden.

Paul

Know somebody who did exactly that in Little Kimble. After a couple of years
they had a beautifully planted garden plus summerhouse in the corner of
their paddock.
The council served an enforcement order and the whole thing was ripped up
and restored to long grass and hogweed.

Old 16-10-2003, 07:32 PM
mich

"Sad Sid" . wrote in message

If I were to buy a little bit of an adjacent field from a farmer to
extend my garden would I therefore need planning permission to grow
anything but grass ?.

It has to be agricultural use. I believe you could put an orchard in such a
piece of land or grow commercial crops.

In fact , in some places ( where I live for example) buying a field and
using it as a paddock would be considered a planning issue. You would need a
change of use to put horses in there.

Old 16-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"mich" writes:
| "Sad Sid" . wrote in message
|
| If I were to buy a little bit of an adjacent field from a farmer to
| extend my garden would I therefore need planning permission to grow
| anything but grass ?.
|
| It has to be agricultural use. I believe you could put an orchard in such a
| piece of land or grow commercial crops.

Or trees suitable for forestry. Planting walnuts for harvesting a
century or two hence would be OK :-)

| In fact , in some places ( where I live for example) buying a field and
| using it as a paddock would be considered a planning issue. You would need a
| change of use to put horses in there.

That is definitely a good thing! There is far too much land that
has been paddockised, which is very bad for the environment - and
very often not good for the horses.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello All

wrote:
[...]

I and a group of neighbours actually did this.

The various negotiations which included moving a public footpath were quite
interesting and took a fair time, but it all worked out in the end.

You will find that "Garden Land" costs a bit more than "Agricultural Land"
but considerably less than a building plot. (Unless the extra land is a
potential building plot !)

The Local Authority laid down conditions about a new boundary hedge of native
species, and the exercise created about 300 yards of new good quality
hedgerow.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England
Old 21-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Me

Thanks all for the interesting replies, perhaps its not such a naive
idear after all.

Thanks again

Paul

Childproofing garden ponds. Peter Hughes United Kingdom 48 26-08-2012 11:15 PM
musings about garden stuff Valkyrie Gardening 2 24-02-2003 07:40 AM
High Fiving Mofo Gardening Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 16-02-2003 06:15 PM
The Ephemeral Art paghat Gardening 0 05-02-2003 07:50 PM
In the Garden of Osama bin Laden paghat Gardening 1 27-01-2003 04:00 PM