Old 09-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Gea Jones

Default DESPERATE/ORCHIDPhalaeonopsis

Found the name,

Phalaeonopsis

Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:06:29 +0000 (UTC), "Gea Jones"
wrote:

Please Help,
much apppreciated, I just splashed out and bought myself a real live

potted
orchid,
it is so beautiful and I really want to give it all the TLC it deserves,
any Orchid eperts out there ?
I really need to know which part of the house to put it in, how much
watering[the soil is really dry]
light, temp, all the usual,
Thankyou very much
Gea

My mother (83 yrs old) has pots and pots of such orchids, bought over
the years at the local Wyvale g/c, which flourish with sickening vigor
and are in flower for months. She has several species, I don't know
what but nothing difficult or rare, I guess.

She has them in an extension to her living room which has d-g windows
on three sides but a plaster ceiling. The fourth side is open to the
living room. Although the extension has two hot-water radiators in it,
they are small and it doesn't get too hot or too cold out there. The
windows face north, east and south, respectively. On the E and S
windows are venetian blinds which she lowers to protect them from
direct sunshine. The pots are on the sills of the N and E-facing
windows, but not the S window. They're there all year round, i.e. she
doesn't put them outside in the summer, and they don't seem to need
any help in initiating flower shoots. She grows them in proper
commercial orchid compost (mostly large bark chips by the look of it).

She reckons that it's the watering regime that is critical to their
health. She waters them once a week (it's her Sunday morning
activity), by plunging each pot in a bowl of water for about ten
minutes and then letting it drain. She puts a pinch of general purpose
soluble fertiliser into the water (don't know what; probably
Phostrogen or Miracle-grow). No other water is given for the rest of
the week. When they're looking as if they're getting cramped, she
re-pots into a larger pot using more of the same compost.

--
Chris