Old 18-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Harry Lauder,s walki9ng stick

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Franz

Old 18-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:38:45 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Why?
Be careful if you do. I gather they are grafted and you could
encourage lots of straight ordinary hazel rather than more
contortions.
Yes I think you would ruin it.

Pam in Bristol

Old 18-12-2003, 09:04 AM
martin

wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

There's a badly constructed subject if ever I saw one. I thought it
was spam. :-)
--
Martin
Old 18-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it

has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Why?
Be careful if you do. I gather they are grafted and you could
encourage lots of straight ordinary hazel rather than more
contortions.
Yes I think you would ruin it.

What a pity. We have a little private path at the back between ourselves
and our neighbours. The hazel of which I speak has got out of hand and is
making the path unusable on wet days.

Please, may I give it a slightly less harsh pruning? (Still harsh, though
{:-)) )

Franz

Pam in Bristol

Old 18-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Sue da Nimm

wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that

it
has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New

Year's
Day?

Why?
Be careful if you do. I gather they are grafted and you could
encourage lots of straight ordinary hazel rather than more
contortions.
Yes I think you would ruin it.

FWIW when we moved here someone had cut out all the twisted branches from
our Hazel, thinking it was diseased! I cut all the straight growth out,
leaving just a stump. After three years it is now about 8ft tall with a good
spread of bizarre contorted branches. I lop the odd straight branches as
they appear.

We also have a twisted willow which is a constant source of worry. It
produces masses of leaves and new twigs every spring - which nearly all die
back come June. It then puts on new growth again in a hap-hazard fashion
until fall. I have carefully removed several dead branches - everything else
seems healthy, but.....

Old 18-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Harry Lauder's walkinng stick

wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it

has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

There's a badly constructed subject if ever I saw one. I thought it
was spam. :-)

Hell's delight.
{:-((

I have now corrected the second one as well.

Franz

--
Martin

Old 18-12-2003, 01:03 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:53:42 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it

has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

There's a badly constructed subject if ever I saw one. I thought it
was spam. :-)

Hell's delight.
{:-((

I have now corrected the second one as well.

and now do this one? :-)
--
Martin
Old 18-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:13:53 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

What a pity. We have a little private path at the back between ourselves
and our neighbours. The hazel of which I speak has got out of hand and is
making the path unusable on wet days.

Please, may I give it a slightly less harsh pruning?

In that case I would cut off some of the stems around the base,
leaving the central ones intact. That would give you room to pass but
not spoil the attractiveness too much.
Then you would have to be extra vigilant for the straight ones which
may well try to invade the space you have made.

Pam in Bristol

harry lauder walking stick pacca[_3_] Gardening 0 03-07-2013 09:45 PM
Harry Lauder's Walking Stick pacca[_3_] Gardening 1 26-08-2011 12:00 PM
henry Lauder Judy Cosler Gardening 3 08-08-2004 02:07 PM
Gas Edgers: experiences w/stick and walk-behind types johannmon Gardening 3 31-03-2003 12:56 AM
Walking Stick Cabbage Steve Harris United Kingdom 7 13-02-2003 07:26 PM