Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Devlin

Default Transplanting a holly bush

I am rather a gardening know-nothing. I have a 6' holly bush in my garden
which I would like to move to another location. Will it survive? Any tips
gratefully accepted.
Mick

Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 AM
PK

Devlin wrote:
I am rather a gardening know-nothing. I have a 6' holly bush in my
garden which I would like to move to another location. Will it
survive? Any tips gratefully accepted.
Mick

highly unlikly it will survive the move. Holly put down a tap root and
resnet any movement once established.

BUT if it is definitely in the wrong place and has to be moved, you have
nothing to lose by trying.

Take a rootball 2' across and undercut carefully.

pk

Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Devlin

PK
I want to put a holly bush in a gap in between existing holly bushes. Can
they be bought in a pot? If so, when is the best time to plant etc?
Mick
Mick

Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 AM
David Hill

If you are going to move a 6ft holly tree then I would cut a trench about 3
ft from the trunk all round to keep as much root as possible.
If the tree was originally container grown then you will have more chance
than if it is a natural seedling which may well have a deep tap root.
I have moved holly up to 4ft with most surviving, but be ready for a lot of
leaf drop.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Tumbleweed

"Devlin" wrote in message
I am rather a gardening know-nothing. I have a 6' holly bush in my garden
which I would like to move to another location. Will it survive? Any tips
gratefully accepted.
Mick

I successfully transplanted a 3-4ft holly which suffered no ill effects at
all. Unfortunately I cant recall which time of year I did it in case that
makes any difference.
At a guess I'd say late winter, ie feb or so might be good because it will
be relatively dormant but start putting out new growth soonish.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 07-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:
"Devlin" wrote in message

I am rather a gardening know-nothing. I have a 6' holly bush in my garden
which I would like to move to another location. Will it survive? Any tips
gratefully accepted.
Mick

I successfully transplanted a 3-4ft holly which suffered no ill effects at
all. Unfortunately I cant recall which time of year I did it in case that
makes any difference.
At a guess I'd say late winter, ie feb or so might be good because it will
be relatively dormant but start putting out new growth soonish.

I potted one of about 3' 6" into an 18" planter during September 2002
and it is still doing well. It lost no leaves and showed no sign of
stress, but I did keep it well watered.

It had been planted (probably) by birds in an awkward position, so it
had a choice....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 07-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Rod

Devlin wrote:

I want to put a holly bush in a gap in between existing holly bushes. Can
they be bought in a pot? If so, when is the best time to plant etc?

Yes - any time but better when it's not too hot and dry. Keep an eye on water
requirements during the first summer. A Holly as big as the one you have will
move *if* you move it with a really big root ball - like just about possible
with a couple of big blokes helping you. You will need care and knowhow to keep
the rootball intact during the move. So unless you are a real glutton for work
and are absolutely skint; buy one in a pot - as big as you like/are willing to
pay for.

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html

Old 08-01-2004, 10:43 PM
JennyC

"Devlin" wrote in message
I am rather a gardening know-nothing. I have a 6' holly bush in my garden
which I would like to move to another location. Will it survive? Any tips
gratefully accepted.
Mick

I transplanted a small tree size one several years ago. It was in a pot for a
while before going back into the ground but is thriving in its new home.

Be sure to water well and get as big a root ball as is humanly possible
Jenny

Old 11-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes

I potted one of about 3' 6" into an 18" planter during September 2002
and it is still doing well. It lost no leaves and showed no sign of
stress, but I did keep it well watered.

It had been planted (probably) by birds in an awkward position, so it
had a choice....

If it's the common or garden type of holly as opposed to a variegated
special one, then look round the base of the tree, I have loads of
little holly trees growing in one bed at the base of my trees and you
could pot up a few seedlings juts in case the holly transplant doesn't
work. I'll even send you one or two if you are desperate!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes

I potted one of about 3' 6" into an 18" planter during September 2002
and it is still doing well. It lost no leaves and showed no sign of
stress, but I did keep it well watered.

It had been planted (probably) by birds in an awkward position, so it
had a choice....

If it's the common or garden type of holly as opposed to a variegated
special one, then look round the base of the tree, I have loads of
little holly trees growing in one bed at the base of my trees and you
could pot up a few seedlings juts in case the holly transplant doesn't
work. I'll even send you one or two if you are desperate!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

transplanting a yaupon holly timorous barghest Gardening 1 06-04-2005 04:46 PM
Yaupon Holly (and other holly questions) Susan Hogarth North Carolina 5 11-01-2005 06:16 PM
holly bush problem tommy Gardening 2 10-04-2004 11:32 PM
Transplanting a holly bush Devlin United Kingdom 3 07-01-2004 12:13 AM
Holly bush doesn't look too well nobody Gardening 4 23-03-2003 02:32 PM