Old 24-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Dave Henson

Default Banksia rose

Hi

I have a Banksia rose that I have grown from a cutting. It's still very
small ( about 3 inches high) and with only 5 sets of leaves but it's looking
very healthy. I want to plant it in the front to climb up an existing
trellis. Can anyone tell me (a) the best time to plant it out and (b) what
sort of size it should be before planting out?

Thanks,
Dave.

Old 24-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Dave Henson
writes
Hi

I have a Banksia rose that I have grown from a cutting. It's still very
small ( about 3 inches high) and with only 5 sets of leaves but it's looking
very healthy. I want to plant it in the front to climb up an existing
trellis. Can anyone tell me (a) the best time to plant it out and (b) what
sort of size it should be before planting out?

Where is it now? In a pot outside or in the greenhouse? If the latter,
I'd wait till temperatures outside are a bit warmer, April, say, or even
later - the earlier you do it, the more careful you have to be to harden
it off to get it used to the new temperatures.

This is not an expert rose grower answer, but I would give it another
year in a pot and plant it out at about 12 inches high.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 26-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Kay Easton24/1/04 3:31

In article , Dave Henson
writes
Hi

I have a Banksia rose that I have grown from a cutting. It's still very
small ( about 3 inches high) and with only 5 sets of leaves but it's

looking
very healthy. I want to plant it in the front to climb up an existing
trellis. Can anyone tell me (a) the best time to plant it out and (b)

what
sort of size it should be before planting out?

Kay is right. If you think of the roses you buy, you don't get them at

3".
My husband says wait until it's bigger.
Ours is on a warm south facing wall and flowers wonderfully. This is
Banksia lutea. The white Banksia on the other corner of the same wall is
not as vigorous by a long way. And remember that both flower on old wood,
so much not be pruned back as with other roses. All that should be done

is
any necessary tidying - nothing heavy handed.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Just to echo what has already been said, I grow these for sale and at the
moment they are about 4", they will be potted on in February as they start
to grow, and I expect them to be 3' and saleable by June. provided you
remember to water it this is an ok time to plant. Be aware as Sacha says
they flower on older wood so don't like being cut back, at the same time
check out the Guinness book of records for the worlds largest rose - you've
guessed it! so put it in a sensible place :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Dave Henson

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That's some rate of growth! It's currently sitting on the kitchen window
sill in a small pot and, as I don't have a greenhouse, will have to stay
indoors until it's big enough to go outside. Anyway, thanks for everyone's
advice.

Dave.

Old 26-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Dave Henson

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Swamp Banksia-7792 (Banksia robur) Maroochy Garden Photos 4 31-10-2008 10:25 PM
Banksia flower Marutchi Garden Photos 4 24-04-2007 01:10 AM
Banksia Keith Holley Australia 1 23-01-2005 10:27 AM
Banksia Spinulosa Audrey Australia 0 29-10-2003 12:02 AM
Moving banksia rose gruber Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM