Old 24-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Swoop

Default Boundary Shrubs, suggestions please.

Hi

I will hopefully soon be moving to a new house with nice south facing
views from the rear garden. Outside the boundary the ground slopes
seeply down a 10 ft bank to a public footpath below. For some reason
the builders have placed the boundary fence approx. 3 feet back from
the start of the slope, so I have thoughts of secretly planting some
shrubs along this 3ft strip ouside my boundary fence,

a. To secretly extend my garden.
b. To discourage any intruders from the footpath climbing the slope.

However I don't want it to look too obvious that I have planted them
there or want them to grow too high to obstruct the view.

Any suggestions ?.

TIA

Swoop
Old 24-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Martin Sykes

"Swoop" wrote in message
Hi

I will hopefully soon be moving to a new house with nice south facing
views from the rear garden. Outside the boundary the ground slopes
seeply down a 10 ft bank to a public footpath below. For some reason
the builders have placed the boundary fence approx. 3 feet back from
the start of the slope, so I have thoughts of secretly planting some
shrubs along this 3ft strip ouside my boundary fence,

a. To secretly extend my garden.
b. To discourage any intruders from the footpath climbing the slope.

However I don't want it to look too obvious that I have planted them
there or want them to grow too high to obstruct the view.

Any suggestions ?.

TIA

Swoop

They've probable put the fence there to stop it just falling down the slope
in a few years time. It's also given you easy access if you want to
paint/treat the other side with preservative.

Anyway, how about blackberries? You can eat them and an intruder would have
to be very persistent to scramble up a 10 ft bank of brambles. Anything
woody will just give them something easy to hold on to on their way up.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 24-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Swoop

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:03:11 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

"Swoop" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Good idear, but I don't fancy looking at a rats nest of tangled
undergrowth, on the other hand I suppose I could plant shrubs behind
the fence then chuck a few handfulls of blackberries down the sloping
part.

Swoop
Old 24-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Martin Sykes
writes

"Swoop" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

I will hopefully soon be moving to a new house with nice south facing
views from the rear garden. Outside the boundary the ground slopes
seeply down a 10 ft bank to a public footpath below. For some reason
the builders have placed the boundary fence approx. 3 feet back from
the start of the slope, so I have thoughts of secretly planting some
shrubs along this 3ft strip ouside my boundary fence,

a. To secretly extend my garden.
b. To discourage any intruders from the footpath climbing the slope.

However I don't want it to look too obvious that I have planted them
there or want them to grow too high to obstruct the view.

I sympathise with the OP's desire.

But the public also has a pov. A footpath is going to be safer if it
doesn't have masses of vegetation for undesirables to lurk in, so I'm
not totally convinced that planting the slope is a positive step.

Otoh, wildlife would probably prefer that the slop was planted!

I'd suggest sticking to british natives - they will look less as if
they've been deliberately planted - guelder rose, wild rose, honeysuckle
for example. You'll have to keep them trimmed if you don't want them too
high.

And keep the area around tidied if you don't want the council to come
along with a strimmer ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Swoop

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:31:35 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Martin Sykes
writes

"Swoop" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes and the other side of the footpath is also sloped leading to a
wooded area, so it would make the environment look more natural than
if the slope my side was just left bare.

Thanks

Old 24-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire

Natives are the best plan I think. The wild roses are great as they flower well and are spikey enough, but they look pretty rubbish in winter even if the hips stay on. I have masses of them and would be happy to send you some bare rooted for postage money if you PM me.

Dogwood is another good choice. Looks good all year, is a doddle to just chop back when you fancy, nature loves it but doesn't live in it (rats + banks + many plants = disaster!) and it has so many types. I bought three each of red, yellow and albus and they layer so well we are selling them in dozens now!

What about some Hebes dotted in here and there? The larger ones are nice all year. Ours are in flower from mid summer until now even in this Northern windswept area. If you're on acid soil, rhodies may be good, too.

Enjoy the planting!
__________________
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding Perfection

Old 25-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:11:33 -0000, "Alan"
wrote:

a. To secretly extend my garden.
b. To discourage any intruders from the footpath climbing the slope.

However I don't want it to look too obvious that I have planted them
there or want them to grow too high to obstruct the view.

Holly?
Good for deterring intruders.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
wrote:

a. To secretly extend my garden.
b. To discourage any intruders from the footpath climbing the slope.

However I don't want it to look too obvious that I have planted them
there or want them to grow too high to obstruct the view.

Holly?
Good for deterring intruders.

Nah. When I was at boarding school aged nine or ten we had a dense holly
bush beneath our dormitory window.

It was the thing to hurl yourself out of the window and land on your
back in it - wearing only pyjamas.

The one with the most prickle marks was the winner.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Swoop

wrote:

Try hawthorns - best for repelling intruders, and not unattractive.

Alan

Sounds a good idea, as I said before it would blend in with the
natural woodland on the other side of the footpath.

Where would I get hold of hawthorn plants, cuttings, seeds or a
garden center ?.

Old 25-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Swoop

wrote:

a. To secretly extend my garden.
b. To discourage any intruders from the footpath climbing the slope.

However I don't want it to look too obvious that I have planted them
there or want them to grow too high to obstruct the view.

Holly?
Good for deterring intruders.

Pam in Bristol

Right, I'am just taking some Holly cuttings, probably wrong time of
year ?.

Old 26-01-2004, 05:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Swoop contains these words:

Right, I'am just taking some Holly cuttings, probably wrong time of
year ?.

About right, I'd say. keep the compost warmish but the cuttings cool if
you can. Hawthorn cuttings root reasonably easily too.