Old 30-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Mel

Default Cotoneaster Horizontalis

My cotoneaster horizontalis, because of severe neglect, has gone wild and
needs pruning hard. When should I tackle this?

Thanks.

Old 30-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Mel

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
My cotoneaster horizontalis, because of severe neglect, has gone wild and
needs pruning hard. When should I tackle this?

When you can summon the energy ;-)

I've hacked at mine at all sorts of times of year. I think it's
indestructible.

Thanks, Kay. I was out there an hour ago in the pouring rain. I'd bought
some brand-new loppers and couldn't wait to give them a try. I lopped off a
load of branches but then stopped because I thought I might kill the thing.

Regards,

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 30-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mel
writes

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 30-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Mel

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message
My cotoneaster horizontalis, because of severe neglect, has gone
wild and needs pruning hard.

right back to ground level - one stump only left which I couldn't get

out.
Damned thing sprouted right back next year!

If this easy, handsome, foolproof plant had a better publicity agent,
s/he'd tell the world it's a rare and exclusive indicator of gardeners'
good taste and skill. Then it might receive the appreciation and
admiration it richly deserves :-)

I agree. It's a lovely shrub. Its leaves appear very early, attracts bees
better than anything else, gorgeous berries, fiery red autumn colour, and
laughs at any amount of neglect.

Old 30-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Anne Wheeldon

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message ...
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Mel30/1/04 5:39

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
My cotoneaster horizontalis, because of severe neglect, has gone
wild and
needs pruning hard. When should I tackle this?

When you can summon the energy ;-)

I've hacked at mine at all sorts of times of year. I think it's
indestructible.

Thanks, Kay. I was out there an hour ago in the pouring rain. I'd

bought
some brand-new loppers and couldn't wait to give them a try. I
lopped off a
load of branches but then stopped because I thought I might kill the
thing.

Admit it - what you really mean is - you panicked. ;-)
I think Kay's right, you can hardly kill them. I cut one against a wall
right back to ground level - one stump only left which I couldn't get

out.
Damned thing sprouted right back next year!

If this easy, handsome, foolproof plant had a better publicity agent,
s/he'd tell the world it's a rare and exclusive indicator of gardeners'
good taste and skill. Then it might receive the appreciation and
admiration it richly deserves :-)

Janet

I love it! I grew up with them and have planted them in every garden I've
ever had. Birds seem quite partial too.
Basically you prune to fit the space you want it to occupy, always
remembering the harder you prune the stronger it'll grow. Any time of year.
It doesn't seem to care.
Anne

Old 31-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet
Baraclough. . writes
If this easy, handsome, foolproof plant had a better publicity agent,
s/he'd tell the world it's a rare and exclusive indicator of gardeners'
good taste and skill. Then it might receive the appreciation and
admiration it richly deserves :-)

OK - it's evergreen, covered in white blossom in the spring and red
berries through autumn and winter ... and is absolutely ideal if you
want the whole of your garden covered by one single plant.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: