Old 08-03-2004, 08:53 PM
James Fidell

Default cloches

We're looking for some cloches to use on our vegetable beds. What I'd
like is something that packs up fairly neatly for storage when not in
use, but can cover a decent area at a reasonable price.

I've seen some polythene ones with wire hoops fitting through a sleeve
in the polythene every 50cm or so, but the only place I can find that
sells them is asking £6/metre. That doesn't work out at all cost
effective for our garden.

Anyone have any sources for this sort of cloche that aren't quite so
expensive, or suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks,
James
Old 08-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Alan Gould

In article , James Fidell
writes
We're looking for some cloches to use on our vegetable beds. What I'd
like is something that packs up fairly neatly for storage when not in
use, but can cover a decent area at a reasonable price.

I've seen some polythene ones with wire hoops fitting through a sleeve
in the polythene every 50cm or so, but the only place I can find that
sells them is asking £6/metre. That doesn't work out at all cost
effective for our garden.

Anyone have any sources for this sort of cloche that aren't quite so
expensive, or suggestions for alternatives?

We gave up using hooped cloches ages ago. They worked well enough, but
IOHO they did not justify the cost and attention needed. Now we use
polythene sheet weighted down flat over seed rows, onion sets etc. until
the plants under them need uncovering. Taller or more mature half-hardy
plants are raised under cover and put out when climate permits.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Alan Gould

In article , James Fidell
writes
[...]

Growing Melons under Cloches FA JaneyP Gardening 0 18-01-2007 01:30 AM
DEUX HISTOIRES DE CLOCHES [email protected] United Kingdom 0 16-01-2006 10:05 AM
cloches James Fidell United Kingdom 29 11-03-2004 12:46 AM
cloches James Fidell United Kingdom 0 08-03-2004 08:51 PM
Bottle cloches Stephen Howard United Kingdom 1 21-02-2003 07:00 PM