Shallow rooting but tallish plants required!

Old 19-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Mike K

Default Shallow rooting but tallish plants required!

Hi

My next door neighbour has just removed his hedge and put up a 3 foot high
boarded fence, which is a bit bland and ugly on my side. I'd like to put in
some fast growing greenery on my side, but unfortunately my main drain to
the road runs alongside the fence on my side of it. It's about 2 foot below
the surface. Therefore, has anyone got any suggestions on what I could
plant that will mask the fence, but without producing deep roots that could
damage the drain?

Soil type is neutral and the aspect is northerly, and we're right on the
coast with strong winds just to make things fun?

Any suggestions or advice very gratefully received.

Many thanks.

--
Mikey K
Pembrokeshire, Wales
Old 19-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Mike K contains these words:

Hi

My next door neighbour has just removed his hedge and put up a 3 foot high
boarded fence, which is a bit bland and ugly on my side. I'd like to put in
some fast growing greenery on my side, but unfortunately my main drain to
the road runs alongside the fence on my side of it. It's about 2 foot below
the surface. Therefore, has anyone got any suggestions on what I could
plant that will mask the fence, but without producing deep roots that could
damage the drain?

Soil type is neutral and the aspect is northerly, and we're right on the
coast with strong winds just to make things fun?

Rugosa roses? They come in white, pink and red, single or double. You
can buy them cheaply in bulk from a hedging supplier. They are fast and
tough, their suckering habit makes them useful for screens though they
are not overly invasive. They enjoy salty windy coastal conditions and
are very resistant to disease and pests.

The double flowers are appreciably larger, very beautiful, and have
more scent. The singles produce a lot of large attractive hips.

Janet.

Old 22-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Mike K

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:42:46 GMT, Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Rugosa roses? They come in white, pink and red, single or double. You
can buy them cheaply in bulk from a hedging supplier. They are fast and
tough, their suckering habit makes them useful for screens though they
are not overly invasive. They enjoy salty windy coastal conditions and
are very resistant to disease and pests.

Thanks for that Janet. I grew a lot of them as a hedge in a previous house
and they were very resilient. I'm slightly concerned about root depth and
strength, but regaular trimming should keep them from getting too developed
I guess? Other concern is the thorns with young children about! ;-)

Thank you anyway for the suggestion, I shall definitely consider it.

--
Mikey K
Pembrokeshire, Wales

Old 22-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Mike K

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:34:54 -0000, pronoun wrote:

Lavetera Parade is decorative and up to about 3 feet high RHS award.

I'll do some research on this, it's a new one on me, any relation to the
Wood Mallow?

Thanks.

--
Mikey K