Old 15-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Vicky

Default tom cats - grrrr

Now, I own a cat, a species known to be the bain of many a gardeners life.
Fortunately, my cat is only intent on destroying my own garden and I can
cope with that! However, we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere. The final straw came
yesterday when I left a bag outside for half an hour and came back to find
that it reeked of tom cat pee.

I have no idea where he comes from but he appeared suddenly a couple of
months ago so assume his owners moved to the area around that time.

Any solutions people? Apart from catching him and forcibly removing his
dangly bits!!!! And bearing in mind I own a cat, albeit elderly and
slightly senile, myself.

Vicky

Old 15-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Mary Fisher

"Vicky" wrote in message

However, we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere. ... forcibly removing

his
dangly bits!!!!

Some neutered toms will spray ...

Mary

Old 15-04-2004, 11:03 AM
sugarCandy

"Vicky" wrote in message

snip
However, we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere. The final straw came
yesterday when I left a bag outside for half an hour and came back to find
that it reeked of tom cat pee.
Any solutions people? Apart from catching him and forcibly removing his
dangly bits!!!! And bearing in mind I own a cat, albeit elderly and
slightly senile, myself.

Vicky

No solutions, but I can sympathise. I own two cats, one 14, one 10, both
spayed females. I can't understand why the tom cats come calling, surely
they should know they are on a highway to nothing? My poor old girls have
been stalked for the past 2-3 months by a trio of toms, who then fight and
caterwaul in the garden, especially at night. They are spraying everything,
and if the kitchen door is left open they try to come in as well. Perhaps
they can't find any unspayed females around, but surely there must be some
somewhere to take the pressure off 2 elderly spinsters!

annie

Old 15-04-2004, 11:04 AM
bigboard

Vicky wrote:
Now, I own a cat, a species known to be the bain of many a gardeners life.
Fortunately, my cat is only intent on destroying my own garden and I can
cope with that! However, we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere. The final straw came
yesterday when I left a bag outside for half an hour and came back to find
that it reeked of tom cat pee.

I have no idea where he comes from but he appeared suddenly a couple of
months ago so assume his owners moved to the area around that time.

Any solutions people? Apart from catching him and forcibly removing his
dangly bits!!!! And bearing in mind I own a cat, albeit elderly and
slightly senile, myself.

I have a cat that doesn't keep others out of my garden, so I can
sympathise. As he won't do the job, I do it myself. Whenever I see a
'foreign' cat in my garden I charge at it shouting as though I mean to
do it harm. I realise I look a complete idiot to my neighbours, but it
is working! I hardly ever get other cats in my garden any more. Don't
get many visits from the neighbours either, but I can live with that!

Old 15-04-2004, 11:36 AM
bigjon

Vicky decided to share this with us :

Now, I own a cat, a species known to be the bain of many a gardeners life.
Fortunately, my cat is only intent on destroying my own garden and I can
cope with that! However, we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere. The final straw came
yesterday when I left a bag outside for half an hour and came back to find
that it reeked of tom cat pee.

I have no idea where he comes from but he appeared suddenly a couple of
months ago so assume his owners moved to the area around that time.

Any solutions people? Apart from catching him and forcibly removing his
dangly bits!!!! And bearing in mind I own a cat, albeit elderly and
slightly senile, myself.

Vicky

Actually, I think you are correct in that you should catch it and have it
neutered - I doubt the owner would worry, and it would stop the anti social
behaviour....
--
All truth passes through three stages:
first, it is ridiculed;

Old 15-04-2004, 03:08 PM
redclay

Vicky wrote in message
Now, I own a cat, a species known to be the bain of many a gardeners life.
Fortunately, my cat is only intent on destroying my own garden and I can
cope with that! However, we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere. The final straw came
yesterday when I left a bag outside for half an hour and came back to find
that it reeked of tom cat pee.

First off you having his "dangly bits" removed will not stop him from
spraying which he does to mark his territory. I just do not understand why
a female's first thought is to cut the nuts out. Nothing you can put down
will stop him without affecting your cat so the only humane thing to do is
lie in wait for the offending tom and spray him good with a garden hose.
The little super squirt guns from the dollar store might work. You may have
to do it a couple of times depending on just how much of a "cat" that cat
is. Of course if you get a large Havahart for your pigeon project you could
trap it, hold it for a short time all the while beating on the cage with a
balled up newspaper. Scream oaths at it just before you let it out.

Old 15-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Mike

"Vicky" wrote in message
Now, I own a cat, a species known to be the bain of many a gardeners life.
Fortunately, my cat is only intent on destroying my own garden and I can
cope with that! However, we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere. The final straw came
yesterday when I left a bag outside for half an hour and came back to find
that it reeked of tom cat pee.

Interesting that.

Other vermin loving owners, have informed me, here on this very newsgroup,
that 'I' should get one of the beastly things in order to keep 'my' garden
free!!!!!!

You are saying this doesn't work. Therefore the others are telling lies.

Interesting that!!

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tell lies.

--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th

Old 15-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Vicky
writes

Any solutions people? Apart from catching him and forcibly removing his
dangly bits!!!!

In this group, some topics appear with monotonous regularity.
This is one of them. When a topic comes up frequently like this one,
you will find that a lot of regular posters will not bother to
discuss it 'yet again'. They will just inwardly groan and pass on to
the next topic. Consequently, any current discussion the topic is
likely to be incomplete
But, do not despair
We have a faq (frequently asked question), covering the points made
in previous discussions.Our faqs can be found by following this link
www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/

Also, for the benefit of people new to this group, and to save them
from receiving replies which they may consider to be impolite, we have
a thread entitled:

'abc for newcomers to uk.rec.gardening'.

It is posted once a week and should appear on your newsreader.
Please read it. It will point you in the direction of:

1. our faqs (frequently asked questions)
2. our charter
3. netiquette and other bits and bobs

Here is a comprehensive list of all the currently available
FAQs for this newsgroup. If you cannot access the web-pages listed
below, text-only versions of each faq are available by emailing the
relevant webmaster as indicated. To prevent spam, the email addresses
have had X's surgically inserted to fool the harvesters (hopefully)
Remove the X's to make the address valid.

FAQ INDEX PAGE
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/urgfaqs.htm

Carrot Fly by Ron Lowe:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/carrot.html
?subject=send carrot

Compost by Mike Loughlin:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/compost.html
?subject=send compost

Pot Potato by Ron Lowe:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/potato.html
?subject=send potato

Garden Shredders by Kevin Rolph:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/shredder.html
?subject=send shredder

Watering by Trish:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/watering.html
?subject=send watering

Nettle Manure by Alan Gould:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
?subject=send nettle

Organic Compost by Alan Gould
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/organic.html
?subject=send organic

Making a Start - an introduction to gardening by Alan Gould
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/startingout.html
?subject=send starting

Organic Gardening by Alan Gould
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html
?subject=send organic_gardening

Suppliers and References by Chris French:
http://www.spennithorne.demon.co.uk/...g/urgrefs.html
?subject=send supplier

Improving Clay Soil by cormaic:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqsoil1.htm
?subject=send soil

Vine Weevils by JennyC:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqweevl.htm
?subject=send weevils

Damned Cats by assorted Urglers:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqcats1.htm
?subject=send cats

Mole Traps by Jane Ransom:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqmole1.htm
?subject=send moletraps

Plants for Shade by Kay Easton
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqshade.htm
?subject=send shade

Slugs and Snails and Gardeners' Wails by the Group:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqslug1.htm
?subject=send slugs

Enjoying the Sun Safely by Dr Highet
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqsun.htm
?subject=send sun

Potatoes by Phil Cooper
http://www.hhdra.ic24.net/potcult.htm
mailto
Garden Design Software by The Group
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqsoftw.htm
?subject=send software

Recommended Books by Jill Bell
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqbk00.htm
?subject=send books

Garden Beans by Alan Gould
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/beans.html
?subject=send beans

Vegetables by Alan Gould and Alan Deverill
http://www.deverill.demon.co.uk/vegindex.htm
?subject=send veg

All these faq's and other urg bits and bobs such as the
web-ring and meet photos can be accessed via...

http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 15-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Mick

"Vicky" wrote in message
Now, I own a cat, a species known to be the bain of many a gardeners life.
Fortunately, my cat is only intent on destroying my own garden and I can
cope with that! However, we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere. The final straw came
yesterday when I left a bag outside for half an hour and came back to find
that it reeked of tom cat pee.

I have no idea where he comes from but he appeared suddenly a couple of
months ago so assume his owners moved to the area around that time.

Any solutions people? Apart from catching him and forcibly removing his
dangly bits!!!! And bearing in mind I own a cat, albeit elderly and
slightly senile, myself.

A Cat fence is the answer, a kind of netting that bolts to the top of your
existing fence, keeps yours in and others out. As much as I love all animals
I think it should be made law for Cat owners, as well as being considerate
to other home owners a Cat fence will also protect your cat from the hazzard
of being killed on the roads, or even worse, as read in our local paper a
spate of Anti-freeze poisoning. (if you think it will get bored you can
easily build and adventure playground for the Cat even in small yards, seen
it prescribed by vets for depressed cats, you just build an avery type
building on the back of the house with ramps perches and allsorts).

Old 15-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Larry Stoter

Mike wrote:

"Vicky" wrote in message
[...]

You need a large, nasty, intact tom to keep other cats out he-ll beat
them up something rotten!

Sounds as though somebody has done just that and having cleared its own
garden, it is expanding its territory :-))
--
Larry Stoter

Old 15-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Larry Stoter wrote:
Mike wrote:

Other vermin loving owners, have informed me, here on this very newsgroup,
that 'I' should get one of the beastly things in order to keep 'my' garden
free!!!!!!

You need a large, nasty, intact tom to keep other cats out he-ll beat
them up something rotten!

It is illegal to keep the sort of large, nasty, intact tom that I
should like :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2004, 10:35 PM
tuin man

"Vicky" wrote in message
we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere.

Lots sniped.

For what it's worth, I've just had an email from someone who has been
having considerable trouble with her immediate neighbours cat. Given a
chance, he would bolt into her house and spray.
The last time I was there, I threw a bucket of water oin hime when he tried
to get in (he was inclined to hid behind the door and as soon as a chink of
room could be seen, he was in)
The first bucket worked... thereafter with decreasing effect.
He got picked up and thrown out the door and that seemed to make him more
wary for a few days, but alas, soon back to his old tricks. Then this lady
had a brainwave;
Take her own cat's basket and leave it so that the stray would bolt right
into it. Then close the door and leave there to stew for the day.
Result: After no more than one impriosnment, the cat is nowhere to be seen
and she can now, finally, open her kichen door to let just some nice fresh
air to refresh the house.

Patrick

Old 15-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:24:58 +0100, "Vicky"
wrote:

Now, I own a cat, a species known to be the bain of many a gardeners life.
Fortunately, my cat is only intent on destroying my own garden and I can
cope with that! However, we have recently been infiltrated by an
un-neutered tom cat and he is spraying everywhere. The final straw came
yesterday when I left a bag outside for half an hour and came back to find
that it reeked of tom cat pee.

I have no idea where he comes from but he appeared suddenly a couple of
months ago so assume his owners moved to the area around that time.

Any solutions people? Apart from catching him and forcibly removing his
dangly bits!!!! And bearing in mind I own a cat, albeit elderly and
slightly senile, myself.

Vicky, we had a problem last year with two tom cats coming into the
house and terrorising our own. We were sure they were feral cats, and
contacted the Cats' Protection League, who lent us a special catching
cage. We succeeded in catching both toms (at different times!) and
took them to the vet who neutered them - the CPL paid. The important
thing, we were told, was to release the tom cat where we had caught it
- you won't see him for dust again. It all worked, I'm glad to say.
(Mind you, we noticed a dearth of young men hanging round the patio,
too, when the story got round...)
HTH

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Email is sallydogthompsonatbtinternetdogcom, replacing dog with dot
Old 15-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Mike

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry Stoter wrote:
Mike wrote:

Other vermin loving owners, have informed me, here on this very

newsgroup,
that 'I' should get one of the beastly things in order to keep 'my'

garden
free!!!!!!

You need a large, nasty, intact tom to keep other cats out he-ll beat
them up something rotten!

It is illegal to keep the sort of large, nasty, intact tom that I
should like :-(

I don't live too far away from http://www.isleofwightzoo.com/
about 1 mile, I quite often park the car opposite when I go to the beach. I
think I will have words with them about 'fostering' some of their young cubs
:-))

The vermin loving fraternity will have something to complain about then!!
Well they keep telling me to get one to keep others away, but this thread
has proved they are lying.

Don't like liars, do we Muppet?

Old 16-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Bob Hobden

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message

You need a large, nasty, intact tom to keep other cats out he-ll beat
them up something rotten!

Hmmm, yesterday our 16 years old neutered male Birman was outside on the
path , which is unusual in itself, when the local intact Tom came calling
again. (We also have a spayed female Birman of 14)
To my amazement the old fool fluffed himself up, started screaming, and
walked head down towards the tom and chased him away.

Of course he had to lie down for a few hours afterwards. No change there.
:-)
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

tom cats George.com Lawns 9 16-10-2006 01:09 PM
[IBC] OT-Grrrr! Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-10-2005 02:06 AM
Grrrr Diana Kulaga Orchids 22 23-07-2005 12:13 PM
GOOD LORD !!! TOMTOM OT OT OT Mary kate Ponds 13 27-07-2004 03:03 PM
OT - computers - grrrr! Sacha United Kingdom 20 08-11-2003 12:24 AM