Old 22-03-2004, 01:52 AM
Pip

Default Last years onions & garlic

I planted some onion sets last year. After going away on holiday for two
weeks in summer, they had completely dried up, the green leaves were yellow
and dried out so I just left them in the ground. They are now coming back
to life. The size of the onions themselves now are a little bigger than the
sets I planted last year.

Should I keep them in the ground to develop or is it best to dig them up and
start a fresh? They don't seem diseased at all.

The same applies to the garlic I planted last year, though I have heard that
you can keep garlic in the ground year after year - is this right?

Many thanks for your replies.
regards
Pippa

Old 22-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Dwayne

I am in the U.S. and I leave my garlic in the ground if I dont need to
harvest it for my use or for replanting. I have seen a garlic bed that is
nearly 20 years old, and they man that has it only harvests what he wants to
use or sell or give away.

We both harvest it after it has sent up the seed pods and about 1/3 of the
plant has died back. We cut off the seed pods when they are very young, dut
them up and put them in soup or stew.

I would also leave the onions alone until they are ready to harvest. You
might wait to get some other opinions from someone who has the same climate
you do.

Dwayne

Old 22-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Bob Hobden

"Pip" wrote in message
I planted some onion sets last year. After going away on holiday for two
weeks in summer, they had completely dried up, the green leaves were

yellow
and dried out so I just left them in the ground. They are now coming back
to life. The size of the onions themselves now are a little bigger than

the
sets I planted last year.

Should I keep them in the ground to develop or is it best to dig them up

and
start a fresh? They don't seem diseased at all.

The same applies to the garlic I planted last year, though I have heard

that
you can keep garlic in the ground year after year - is this right?

The Garlic will come up again in clumps and will be OK although I've not
seen it grow so big as when it's separated. There's no reason why you
couldn't separate the individual plants anyway.
The onions will probably bolt (flower) and will not be much good, certainly
won't store if they do. There are still some onion sets in the shops so I
would suggest you plant some more to be on the safe side.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 18-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Hi,

I have grown garlic and the plants are over a foot tall. Now, I have
put some potato between the garlic and hope that when garlic is ready,
then soil could be put around potatoes.

Also, want to know how do you use small garlic seeds on top of the
plant?

What is "dut" term used in America?

Rajinder

Old 22-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:38:20 +0100, "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
wrote:

"Dwayne" wrote

I am in the U.S. and I leave my garlic in the ground if I dont need to
harvest it for my use or for replanting. I have seen a garlic bed

that is
nearly 20 years old, and they man that has it only harvests what he

wants to
use or sell or give away.

We both harvest it after it has sent up the seed pods and about 1/3 of

the
plant has died back. We cut off the seed pods when they are very

young, dut
them up and put them in soup or stew.

Also, want to know how do you use small garlic seeds on top of the
plant?

They're not seeds but bulblets or bulbils. They can be planted and
will form one 'clove' the first year and a normal bulb the second.

What is "dut" term used in America?

Typo for 'dug'.
Old 22-04-2004, 09:07 PM
martin

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:02:21 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:38:20 +0100, "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
wrote:

"Dwayne" wrote

I am in the U.S. and I leave my garlic in the ground if I dont need to
harvest it for my use or for replanting. I have seen a garlic bed

that is
nearly 20 years old, and they man that has it only harvests what he

wants to
use or sell or give away.

We both harvest it after it has sent up the seed pods and about 1/3 of

the
plant has died back. We cut off the seed pods when they are very

young, dut
them up and put them in soup or stew.

Also, want to know how do you use small garlic seeds on top of the
plant?

They're not seeds but bulblets or bulbils. They can be planted and
will form one 'clove' the first year and a normal bulb the second.

What is "dut" term used in America?

Typo for 'dug'.

and not Duh! ?