Old 20-04-2004, 06:07 PM
WullieD00

Default Help - I've got green slime in my lawn

Hi all, maybe someone can help? I've googled for similar threads in
the past but can't find anything so apologies if this is a regular
question.

I've just done the first cut of the year and there's a lot of green
slime in one part of the grass. It doesn't smell, is very slippery
and seems to be like a coating on the ground. I only noticed it
because it oozed up when the wheels of the mower passed or where my
feet had been. It covers an area of about 5m x 2m and is on a high
spot so I don't think that there's a drainage problem.

The grass was originally turf over sand when the house was built about
twelve years ago, has never been in particularly great condition, gets
a "feed and weed" dressing every other year and hasn't ever had green
slime before.

Anyone any idea what it is and how I get rid of it? If a picture
would help, let me know where to post it.

Thanks for any help,
Bill.

Old 21-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Mark Allison

WullieD00 wrote:

Anyone any idea what it is and how I get rid of it? If a picture
would help, let me know where to post it.

Thanks for any help,
Bill.

Giant slugs?

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.markallison.co.uk

Old 22-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Victoria Clare

"WullieD00" wrote in
:

Hi all, maybe someone can help? I've googled for similar threads in
the past but can't find anything so apologies if this is a regular
question.

I've just done the first cut of the year and there's a lot of green
slime in one part of the grass. It doesn't smell, is very slippery
and seems to be like a coating on the ground.

I'm just posting to say I don't believe this is an FAQ - in fact, I
don't think I've heard of it here before.

I wonder if it could possibly be slime moulds, as you say the area isn't
particularly badly drained? I have what I think is that in my lawn, but
it is grey rather than green.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/944790.stm - a rather unique and
interesting bunch of organisms.

I'm afraid I have no cures to suggest: I have not tried to get rid of them.

Victoria

-- gardening on a north-facing hill in South-East Cornwall --
Old 22-04-2004, 04:07 PM
martin

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:57:45 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

"WullieD00" wrote in
:

Hi all, maybe someone can help? I've googled for similar threads in
the past but can't find anything so apologies if this is a regular
question.

I've just done the first cut of the year and there's a lot of green
slime in one part of the grass. It doesn't smell, is very slippery
and seems to be like a coating on the ground.

I'm just posting to say I don't believe this is an FAQ - in fact, I
don't think I've heard of it here before.

I wonder if it could possibly be slime moulds, as you say the area isn't
particularly badly drained? I have what I think is that in my lawn, but
it is grey rather than green.

Long ago I fell flat on my face on the large area of grass adjacent to
the ford near the Roman Road on the track leading from Goathland to
Pickering. It was almost impossible to stand up, the grass was
covered in some sort of invisible slime. We've been there many times
since but the slime as long gone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/944790.stm - a rather unique and
interesting bunch of organisms.

"Pieces of slime mould, an amoeba-like organism, were enticed through
a 30-square-centimetre (five-square-inch) maze by the prospect of food
at the end of the puzzle."

So how did the slime know that there was food at the end of the maze
slimy intuition?

Old 22-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Robert E A Harvey

martin wrote:
"Pieces of slime mould, an amoeba-like organism, were enticed through
a 30-square-centimetre (five-square-inch) maze by the prospect of food
at the end of the puzzle."

Years ago, when working on the road, conversation in a small boarding house
turned to biology. One of the residents told a tale about slime mould,
describing them as barely alive and therefore difficult to kill. A man
behind me (the one with the unheated draughty bedroom) replied "I bet
spending 3 nights in this place would give them a hard time"

Old 22-04-2004, 04:07 PM
nick gray

"WullieD00" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Bill,

According to Hessayon Lawn Expert:
Green and black slime is sometimes found as a coating on the turf. This
slime is made up of countless microscopic plants (blue-green algae) and is a
feature of a bare or sparsely-grassed surface coupled with waterlogged
conditions...you also find it in turf on heavy soil which has been
overrolled, underfed and cut too closely. It also attacks newly-seeded areas
on badly drained soil.

Avoiding and curing the problem
Water the affected area with Bio Moss Killer (I think that Bio is a PBI
product as are the Hessayon books - so you may find that another moss killer
works just as effectively). Routine treatment with lawn sand will also kill
algae. The slime will return unless you can correct the basic cause. This
calls for spiking and top dressing the compacted turf in autumn.

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 23-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Anna Kettle

I've just done the first cut of the year and there's a lot of green
slime in one part of the grass. It doesn't smell, is very slippery
and seems to be like a coating on the ground. I only noticed it
because it oozed up when the wheels of the mower passed or where my
feet had been. It covers an area of about 5m x 2m and is on a high
spot so I don't think that there's a drainage problem.

The little green men from Mars have landed and YOU have won the star
prize

Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation, freehand modelling in lime