Old 04-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Registered User

Location: West Mids
Default How Do You Prevent Moss Re-occurring?

I've just pressure washed moss from a tarmac tennis court now I need to prevent it from coming back. Suggestions include Jeyes Fluid, Jeyes Path Patio and Drive, Armatillox and Bleach. Anyone know which is best and how often I need to apply? Court is shady, often damp and surrounded by trees which obviously I can't do anything about.
Also, any tips on best long-term remover of weeds between slabs....tried most - but problem always returns in little time. Many thanks.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:03 PM
david taylor

Killing moss with bleach, disinfectant, ferrous sulphate (for moss)
stimulates it into generating more spores. If conditions are right the moss
will return.
New tarmac might improve conditions for a year or so. An old tarmac surface
will have last most of its tarry coating and be receptive to moss.
Cleaning pockets of soil, (nutrients) from the pores of old tarmac might
help.
Mercury compounds were rightly banned as moss killers and fungicides but
they did give lasting protection on lawns.

s.com...
--
Jim

Old 05-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Jane Ransom

In article m, Jim
writes
I've just pressure washed moss from a tarmac tennis court now I need to

prevent
it from coming back. Suggestions include Jeyes Fluid, Jeyes

Path Patio and
Drive, Armatillox and Bleach. Anyone know which is best

and how often I need to
apply? Court is shady, often damp and

surrounded by trees which obviously I
can't do anything about.

In this country you don't stand a chance of ridding yourself of moss
permanently just as in a desert you don't stand a chance of growing it.
And with the conditions you describe you really are on a hiding to
nothing (((((((

I'm afraid you will have to resign yourself to pressure washing a couple
of times a year.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:04 PM
tuin man

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article m, Jim
writes
I've just pressure washed moss from a tarmac tennis court now I need to

prevent
it from coming back. Suggestions include Jeyes Fluid, Jeyes

Path Patio and
Drive, Armatillox and Bleach. Anyone know which is best

and how often I need to
apply? Court is shady, often damp and

surrounded by trees which obviously I
can't do anything about.

In this country you don't stand a chance of ridding yourself of moss
permanently just as in a desert you don't stand a chance of growing it.
And with the conditions you describe you really are on a hiding to
nothing (((((((

I'm afraid you will have to resign yourself to pressure washing a couple
of times a year.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

If I can remember to do so, tomorrow, I'll have a look at the name of a
product I bought for a client. It gives an assurance of no further re-moss
for 2 years... not for lawn use!
I think I got it at homebase. Haven't tried it yet.

Patrick

Old 06-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Location: West Mids

Quote:
Originally posted by tuin man
If I can remember to do so, tomorrow, I'll have a look at the name of a
product I bought for a client. It gives an assurance of no further re-moss
for 2 years... not for lawn use!
I think I got it at homebase. Haven't tried it yet.

Patrick [/b]
Thanks.....look forward to hearing from you, Patrick.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:09 PM
tuin man

"Jim" wrote in message
s.com...
I've just pressure washed moss from a tarmac tennis court now I need to
prevent it from coming back. Suggestions include Jeyes Fluid, Jeyes
Path Patio and Drive, Armatillox and Bleach. Anyone know which is best
and how often I need to apply? Court is shady, often damp and
surrounded by trees which obviously I can't do anything about.
Also, any tips on best long-term remover of weeds between
slabs....tried most - but problem always returns in little time. Many
thanks.
--
Jim

Having checked out the product I mentioned yesterday, here is the info.

In so far as I can make out, the product is called Fungo, made by DAX (who
ever they are)

The £5.99 price tag must have been put on with super glue and currently
obscures the products name along with another word beneath it.... which has
only 3 letters that are not covered my the tag, ... & presuming the label
placement was not intended to say something... those 3 letters are CON

It's a 250ml bottle. Yellow label on what looks like a white yop (yoghurt
drink) bottle

Makes up to 25 litres .... treats ups to 62.5 square meters.

I did not get it at homebase as I had earlier thought. It was at a GC, North
west London

It refers to itself as a "Moss Killer...
Kills & stops moss, algae, lichen.
Ideal for use on paths, roofs, patios, tennis courts, walls, garden
furniture, greenhouses and conservatories.
Also for growths from damp & condensation on many interior hard surfaces.
Kills, cleans & protects all in one go. Results can last over 2 years"
The small print refers to secondary use as a decorators fungicidal wash. A
little harsh on decorators, but I think I know what they mean.

It contains (15%w/w 170/litre) Sodium Dichlorophen.
HSE no. 4768 (refers to product use, just added it for any who like detail.)

It doesn't mention lawns, but I wouldn't recommend that (-:

Patrick

Old 07-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Registered User

Location: West Mids