Old 30-04-2004, 04:08 PM
dave manchester

Default small pice of land required

i am looking for a piece of land minimum size 1 acre with some form of
building on it (condition of no concearn) we are a young family hoping
to become eventually self sufficiant maybe a few animals, im sure you
know the kind of thing! the property must however pe pre piped for
water and electricity will pay in the region of 20k for the right
piece in any part of the UK.

any help and advice would be greatfully received

thank you
Dave

Old 30-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Tumbleweed

"dave manchester" wrote in message
om...
i am looking for a piece of land minimum size 1 acre with some form of
building on it (condition of no concearn) we are a young family hoping
to become eventually self sufficiant maybe a few animals, im sure you
know the kind of thing! the property must however pe pre piped for
water and electricity will pay in the region of 20k for the right
piece in any part of the UK.

any help and advice would be greatfully received

thank you
Dave

So just to get this right, you want to buy a field, that may have no
planning permission for a dwelling and no prospect of it?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 30-04-2004, 04:09 PM
mrcheerful

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..

"dave manchester" wrote in message
om...
i am looking for a piece of land minimum size 1 acre with some form of
building on it (condition of no concearn) we are a young family hoping
to become eventually self sufficiant maybe a few animals, im sure you
know the kind of thing! the property must however pe pre piped for
water and electricity will pay in the region of 20k for the right
piece in any part of the UK.

any help and advice would be greatfully received

thank you
Dave

So just to get this right, you want to buy a field, that may have no
planning permission for a dwelling and no prospect of it?

--
Tumbleweed

Why not? With the new human rights legislation that the pikeys have won,
anyone can live on land they own afaics.

Good luck with finding something,

mrcheerful

Old 30-04-2004, 06:07 PM
mich

"mrcheerful" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..

"dave manchester" wrote in message
om...
i am looking for a piece of land minimum size 1 acre with some form

of
building on it (condition of no concearn) we are a young family

hoping
to become eventually self sufficiant maybe a few animals, im sure

you
know the kind of thing! the property must however pe pre piped for
water and electricity will pay in the region of 20k for the right
piece in any part of the UK.

any help and advice would be greatfully received

thank you
Dave

So just to get this right, you want to buy a field, that may have no
planning permission for a dwelling and no prospect of it?

I think if it already has a building on it and piped water and leccy to it
( no matter what condition) essentially the right to planning permission
exists for a dwelling! Hence he asked for land and building.

Mind you, you would be lucky to get that for 20K in my area. Might get an
acre of ag land ( no building potential). No doubt somewhere its available
though.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Mike Lyle

(dave manchester) wrote in message . com...
i am looking for a piece of land minimum size 1 acre with some form of
building on it (condition of no concearn) we are a young family hoping
to become eventually self sufficiant maybe a few animals, im sure you
know the kind of thing! the property must however pe pre piped for
water and electricity will pay in the region of 20k for the right
piece in any part of the UK.

any help and advice would be greatfully received

Except as a very rewarding hobby, I wouldn't even think about it with
one acre, even if I also had a job well-enough paid to buy in winter
feed for the animal (no goats, please). Minimum five acres for a cow
and a calf and a few sheep (not goats, definitely not goats, certainly
and absolutely not goats), in my experience, and you'll still need a
full-time outside job. Hard work, but a very nice way of life, as long
as you haven't got a goat.

I haven't met him, but I'm told Chas Griffin is a very nice bloke: his
entertaining and instructive book, *Scenes from a smallholding*, is
£11.95, and his email address is

(I've found that goats are a bit chewy. And before that, they chew
things.)

Griffin's snailmail: Third Leaf Books, Saron, Llandysul, SA44 5HB

John Seymour's *Self-Sufficency* is also very readable, informative,
and pulls no punches about the economics, though he doesn't dwell on
that side of it: you can't, just can't, do it with a mortgage. I did
use to know him, and he's a very nice bloke, too (hope he's still
alive!).

If I were you, I wouldn't keep any goats, by the way.

Mike.

P.S. Perhaps I should warn you against keeping goats. Groats are OK,
though. Stoats, sure. I'd hate to be without my throat or my coat, and
boats are nice. Thoats, by all means, if you can get them. A moat is
usually a waste of space under modern conditions, though; but a goat
is worse.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Mike

Mike I get the impression that you are not tooooooooooo keen on goats.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I'm not usually wrong, but I really do get
the impression that you and goats do not see eye to eye, head to head?????

Mike

Old 01-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:05:26 +0100, mich wrote:

Might get an acre of ag land ( no building potential). No doubt
somewhere its available though.

Not decent ag land. Small (and I mean small) cottage went for =A327k
just down the road, no mains water, no drainage, has got mains leccy.
Building sound but in need of interior refurbishment.

The derelict barns, as in half fallen in roof, no window frames,
floors, ha! but with PP for conversion, with an acre or two of land go
for =A350,000+, the PP adds about =A320k to the price.

Mind you you couldn't hope to be self sufficient of the land round
here. The season is to short, the Daffs are in full bloom now, trees
are just breaking bud, we will have had the first snow of next winter
in 6 months time.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 01-05-2004, 09:02 AM
dave manchester

Sacha wrote in message .uk...
dave manchester30/4/04 3:13

i am looking for a piece of land minimum size 1 acre with some form of
building on it (condition of no concearn) we are a young family hoping
to become eventually self sufficiant maybe a few animals, im sure you
know the kind of thing! the property must however pe pre piped for
water and electricity will pay in the region of 20k for the right
piece in any part of the UK.

any help and advice would be greatfully received

thank you
Dave

Just to clarify, Dave - do you hope to convert and live in any such
building? Or are you intending to use the land as a smallholding, the
building as an equipment store and live elsewhere?

Thank you all for your replies, they are very much appreciated and are
a great help. especially the one about the goat.
I have made another post yesterday which explains my position a little
clearer, if that would help.
in an ideal world yes it would be nice to get a field with an old
house to restore that wouldn't need the planning consent and the
ground to be perfect and we all live happily ever after. but I know
that is not possible.
we have seen some potential sites but as usual if you have 30k to
spend they want 50 and if you have 50 you need 70.
prices do seem to fluctuate dramatically depending on the use of the
land and the location in the UK. I know inner-city building plots are
worth more than working land, probably due to the fact that who ever
should buy it will make more money.
At this moment in time we are unsure as to what is really out there
and what can realistically be achieved that is why all help is
appreciated more than you all realise.
we would want to live on the land and I personally feel that it could
be achievable on our tiny budget its just a matter of stumbling upon
the right place or bumping into the right person. I know its a long
shot but to be honest I don't have many other options at the moment.
maybe we are dreaming, maybe this cant be done, I never expected it to
be easy and would be quite disappointed if it was (I like to try the
impossible).
I will now begin my daily routine of searching the net and looking at
the classifieds.
thanks for taking the time posting your comments please keep the
advice coming

Dave
Old 01-05-2004, 10:09 AM
David Hill

You may find this of interest
http://pages.britishlibrary.net/patgardiner/wales.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 01-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Mike Lyle

"Mike" wrote in message ...
Mike I get the impression that you are not tooooooooooo keen on goats.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I'm not usually wrong, but I really do get
the impression that you and goats do not see eye to eye, head to head?????

I can't see what gave you that idea.

Mike.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Tumbleweed

"mich" wrote in message

[...]

Of course it doesnt. For a start he said a building, which isnt the same as
a dwelling. There have been many court cases on this, for example I recall
reading about a farmer who had to demolish some 'pig sties' that bore a
remarkable resemblance to a detached bungalow.

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 01-05-2004, 12:12 PM
martin

On Sat, 1 May 2004 11:04:16 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

Of course it doesnt. For a start he said a building, which isnt the same as
a dwelling. There have been many court cases on this, for example I recall
reading about a farmer who had to demolish some 'pig sties' that bore a
remarkable resemblance to a detached bungalow.

and my son lived in student accommodation, that bore a
remarkable resemblance to a pig sty :-)

It seems that land is cheap in Hungary, according to Radio 4 this
morning. I read that Dutch farmers, who have bought cheap farms/land
in Hungary, would like EU grants to help them develop their land.