Old 05-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Just A Bloke

Default Tiny Black Droppings - Please help identify!

Our garden shed has a fine mist of tiny black droppings across the floor -
and also across some of the toys/garden furniture.

They are truly miniscule - 1mm at the most - more like black dust.

From reading up on droppings of household pests, I've ruled out any rodents
(they are far too small) so I'm wondering what's creating them? Some kind of
insect or spider?

I'd appreciate any/all help in identifying these!

Old 05-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 5 May 2004 11:17:15 +0100, Just A Bloke wrote:

Our garden shed has a fine mist of tiny black droppings across the floor -
and also across some of the toys/garden furniture.

They are truly miniscule - 1mm at the most - more like black dust.

From reading up on droppings of household pests, I've ruled out any rodents
(they are far too small) so I'm wondering what's creating them? Some kind of
insect or spider?

I'd appreciate any/all help in identifying these!

You're right, very probably spiders but it could very well be woodlice or
some insect, such as earwigs or beetles. Look in the shed roof to see
what's living up there.
--
Tim C.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Just A Bloke

"nambucca" wrote in message

"Just A Bloke" wrote in message
Our garden shed has a fine mist of tiny black droppings across the

floor -
and also across some of the toys/garden furniture.

They are truly miniscule - 1mm at the most - more like black dust.

From reading up on droppings of household pests, I've ruled out any

rodents
(they are far too small) so I'm wondering what's creating them? Some

kind
of
insect or spider?

I'd appreciate any/all help in identifying these!

Mice

I was having a look at sites about rodent droppings and they all show mice
droppings as being about the size of a grain of rice...

These are much, much smaller - tiny black motes...

Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Kate Morgan

Mice

I was having a look at sites about rodent droppings and they all show mice
droppings as being about the size of a grain of rice...

These are much, much smaller - tiny black motes...

could they be tiny mice, ahem, I`ll get me coat :-)

Old 06-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:13:04 +0000 (UTC), nambucca wrote:

"Just A Bloke" wrote in message
Our garden shed has a fine mist of tiny black droppings across the floor -
and also across some of the toys/garden furniture.

They are truly miniscule - 1mm at the most - more like black dust.

From reading up on droppings of household pests, I've ruled out any

rodents
(they are far too small) so I'm wondering what's creating them? Some kind

of
insect or spider?

I'd appreciate any/all help in identifying these!

Mice

Damn small mice.
--
Tim C.