How can I drain this bog?

Old 05-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Stan The Man

Default How can I drain this bog?

I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't know
how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini bore
holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the surface
water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap and
cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
soakaway. TIA.

Stan
Old 05-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stan The Man writes:
| I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
| stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't know
| how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini bore
| holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the surface
| water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
| like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap and
| cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
| soakaway. TIA.

Unless there is permeable soil below the clay, you will end up with
a deep hole full of water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Neil Jones

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Stan The Man writes:
| I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
| stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't

know
| how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini

bore
| holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the

surface
| water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
| like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap

and
| cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
| soakaway. TIA.

Unless there is permeable soil below the clay, you will end up with
a deep hole full of water.

.... also known as a pond.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Neil Jones" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
|
| In article ,
| Stan The Man writes:
| | I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
| | stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't
| know
| | how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini
| bore
| | holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the
| surface
| | water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
| | like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap
| and
| | cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
| | soakaway. TIA.
|
| Unless there is permeable soil below the clay, you will end up with
| a deep hole full of water.
|
| ... also known as a pond.

10 cm wide and 2 m deep is an unusual pond ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Neil Jones

"Neil Jones" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
|
| In article ,
| Stan The Man writes:
| | I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been

lying in
| | stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I

don't
| know
| | how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY

mini
| bore
| | holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the
| surface
| | water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with

something
| | like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a

cheap
| and
| | cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and

expensive
| | soakaway. TIA.
|
| Unless there is permeable soil below the clay, you will end up

with
| a deep hole full of water.
|
| ... also known as a pond.

10 cm wide and 2 m deep is an unusual pond ....

No need to stick with convention :-)

Old 05-05-2004, 03:14 PM
JennyC

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't know
how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini bore
holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the surface
water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap and
cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
soakaway. TIA.

Stan

Could not 'go with the flow' and make a bog garden instead?
Jenny

Old 05-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Stan The Man
writes
I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't know
how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini bore
holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the surface
water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap and
cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
soakaway. TIA.

I don't think draining 'through' the clay is a cheap alternative!
What you have to remember is that to drain anything, you have to have
somewhere for it to drain 'to' ie somewhere lower than where the water
is that it can flow to. If your lawn is in a dip, you are stymied as far
as draining it goes

Do what has been suggested and turn it into a bog garden.

We were down near Gloucester last year and saw a garden with a 'sunken'
bog garden. It was wonderful. A large irregular hole in the ground with
a peninsular out into it on which were a table and chairs. The edges
were vertical and walled and there were steps down into it. The bottom
was filled with various tall bog plants so that you just saw the flowers
peeping up over the top. It was wonderful - I want one as well )))))))
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 05-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Bob Hobden

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
Do what has been suggested and turn it into a bog garden.

We were down near Gloucester last year and saw a garden with a 'sunken'
bog garden. It was wonderful. A large irregular hole in the ground with
a peninsular out into it on which were a table and chairs. The edges
were vertical and walled and there were steps down into it. The bottom
was filled with various tall bog plants so that you just saw the flowers
peeping up over the top. It was wonderful - I want one as well )))))))
--

That sounds wonderful, was it a private garden Jane or open to the public?
If so do you remember the name/whereabouts?

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Mike

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't know
how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini bore
holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the surface
water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap and
cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
soakaway. TIA.

Stan

Stan I don't know if this wet area is near a road, but if it is, I would
talk to the BT Telephone Engineers with the lorry with the screw auger on it
they use for drilling a Pole hole, technical jargon, "A Pole Erection Unit".
A nice 'cuppa etc' and they could bore you a hole down to at least 3 metres.
If you 'still' have clay at that depth, the only thing I can come up with is
to go with it and make a bog garden, UNLESS, there is a way of channelling
it out to a lower level which some one else has suggested.

'Drill and soak' or 'channel away'

Mike
--
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Reunion Bracklesham Bay May 21st - 24th

Old 05-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Rod

On Wed, 05 May 2004 12:51:52 +0100, Stan The Man
wrote:

I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't know
how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini bore
holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the surface
water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap and
cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
soakaway. TIA.

Stan

Try to get a look at a surface geology map of your area. You should
get an idea of the depth of your clay. If like us you've got several
metres of boulder clay, then you've probably got the makings of a bog
garden or pond.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 05-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Stan The Man

Do what has been suggested and turn it into a bog garden.

We were down near Gloucester last year and saw a garden with a 'sunken'
bog garden. It was wonderful. A large irregular hole in the ground with
a peninsular out into it on which were a table and chairs. The edges
were vertical and walled and there were steps down into it. The bottom
was filled with various tall bog plants so that you just saw the flowers
peeping up over the top. It was wonderful - I want one as well )))))))

You are so right!
The most impressive part of Middleton (formerly National Botanic Fiasco of
Wales) is the bog garden.
It is luscious all year round and absolutely buzzing with all kinds of
wildlife. I could sit there all day and never stop finding something new and
fascinating to look at.

Old 06-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Sacha

Stan The Man5/5/04 5:37
In article , Sacha
wrote:

Stan The Man5/5/04 12:51

I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't know
how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini bore
holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the surface
water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap and
cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
soakaway. TIA.

Stan

If it's boggy all year, I agree with the bog garden suggestion but, if like
our lawn it eventually dries out, the bog garden is going to be a damned
nuisance to keep boggy. ;-)
Otherwise I wonder if Cormaic could help with the drainage queries.
www.pavingexpert.com

Thanks. I have discussed a related problem (septic tank soakaway) there
and got lots of sympathy but no affordable answers. And yes, the lawn
does dry out and will probably stay dry from June to Feb.

Stan

This sounds very like our biggest lawn. At times in winter we just have to
stay off it. We don't get a bog exactly but we do leave great huge sliddy
footprints where we walk on it and the water squelches up round our boots as
if we'd trampled on an over soaked sponge. Later in the year and in
prolonged dry weather, we can have fissures deep enough to plunge your arm
into up to the shoulder.
I don't know the size of your garden but given that the worst of the wet
seems to be when most of us don't spend a lot of time outside, can you
simply let it be? I mean, can you just ignore it and avoid it in the wettest
months? It is beginning to sound to me as if this might not be something
worth tackling if it's just a brief seasonal problem, as long as it doesn't
prevent you venturing out of the house, of course!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Rubbermaid stock tank drain plug size? Oingofan Ponds 8 06-11-2004 11:04 PM
DIY Bottom Drain and Diffusers BenignVanilla Ponds 8 08-04-2003 09:56 PM
Metal Drain Covers? Ada Gardening 1 06-04-2003 02:08 AM
Trench/channel drain CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 12:09 PM
Filter, skimmer, bottom drain...how many pumps? BenignVanilla Ponds 11 03-02-2003 10:41 PM