GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Foxgloves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/67426-foxgloves.html)

Joanne 27-06-2004 12:03 PM

Foxgloves

Foxgloves -- once they've finished flowering do I cut off the seed heads for
a second flush of flowers, or do I cut them down because they won't flower
again, or do I just leave them alone to re-seed for next year?

Thanks

Brian 27-06-2004 12:07 PM

Foxgloves

"Joanne" wrote in message
Foxgloves -- once they've finished flowering do I cut off the seed heads

for
a second flush of flowers, or do I cut them down because they won't flower
again, or do I just leave them alone to re-seed for next year?

Thanks

------------------

If you remove the 'seed heads' then this can encourage flowering
side-shoots. This foxglove [D.purpuria] is normally biennial but in the best
conditions can be perennial.
Seeds, for next year's flowers, should have been sown some weeks ago.
If you keep any seeds they can be sown next May/June for flowering a
year later.
Plant them out in October.
There are some very exceptional varieties now available that can be
treated as annuals.
Regards Brian.

Sacha 27-06-2004 02:07 PM

Foxgloves

On 27/6/04 11:21, in article _4yDc.223$WZ4.209@newsfe3-gui, "Joanne"
wrote:

Foxgloves -- once they've finished flowering do I cut off the seed heads for
a second flush of flowers, or do I cut them down because they won't flower
again, or do I just leave them alone to re-seed for next year?

You can cut off the seed heads and let side flowers to develop and flower
and then leave those to seed themselves around for next year. We never
collect seeds from ours in the garden, we just let them do their own thing.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Kay 27-06-2004 06:55 PM

Foxgloves

In article _4yDc.223$WZ4.209@newsfe3-gui, Joanne
writes
Foxgloves -- once they've finished flowering do I cut off the seed heads for
a second flush of flowers, or do I cut them down because they won't flower
again, or do I just leave them alone to re-seed for next year?

You will get the side shoots flowering if you cut the main head, but the
later spikes are nowhere near as good as the first.

If you leave them to seed it will be for the year after next rather than
for next year (remember they're biennial)

--
Kay

Bob Hobden 27-06-2004 07:07 PM

Foxgloves

"Joanne" wrote ...
Foxgloves -- once they've finished flowering do I cut off the seed heads

for
a second flush of flowers, or do I cut them down because they won't flower
again, or do I just leave them alone to re-seed for next year?

Depends what you want to do. They won't flower again, the plants that have
will now die having completed their two year life cycle. Seeds from these
plants will produce young plants next year for flowering in 2006, you won't
get any flowers from them next year.
Personally I let the best ones each year seed, the others I take out before
the seed ripens and is dispersed.

--
Regards
Bob