Old 27-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Pat

Default What Weedkiller

Anyone suggest good sprayable weedkiller for perennial weeds - mainly
vineweed ( at least I think its that ) which grows in borders - pulls
up easy but thin roots go down a long way ......... also thick rooted
dandelion type weeds that are hard to get at that go under walls of
house etc. Tried Weedol without much luck . Is * Roundup* any better?
Or is there something unbranded I could get better results with

Thanks for any help
Old 27-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Brian

"Pat" wrote in message
Anyone suggest good sprayable weedkiller for perennial weeds - mainly
vineweed ( at least I think its that ) which grows in borders - pulls
up easy but thin roots go down a long way ......... also thick rooted
dandelion type weeds that are hard to get at that go under walls of
house etc. Tried Weedol without much luck . Is * Roundup* any better?
Or is there something unbranded I could get better results with

Thanks for any help

------------------------
'Roundup' is by far the best for your bindweed?. It takes quite a
time to work so don't rush out expecting results overnight~ as with
Grammoxone. Roundup eventually kills the roots and only re-apply,if needed,
after a wait of four weeks. It is as near harmless as any weedkiller can be.
If you ever doubt its efficacy, then 'just accidentally' brush your most
treasured plant with it!! [But don't!!]
Any farmer friend would let you have an egg-cup full of 'Agricultural
Strength' Roundup~~ there is a difference I'm sure. [Sufficient for two
gallons]
For local application I add it to a weak wall-paper paste and apply with
a brush or gloved hand.
Don't try to remove bindweed by digging~~ it's the best method of
propagating it!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 28-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Emrys Davies

'Pat',

Glysophate Pen should help you solve your problems. It gets to the
roots and destroys them totally. Easy to use and relatively cheep. I
get them for 99p from a sort of £1 shop in Solihull.

Scroll to 'Weedkillers' on this site for more information.

http://www.gardenworld.co.uk/advice.asp?code=6

Other information:

http://tinyurl.com/yvd73

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Diane Epps

"Pat" wrote in message
Anyone suggest good sprayable weedkiller for perennial weeds - mainly
vineweed ( at least I think its that ) which grows in borders - pulls
up easy but thin roots go down a long way ......... also thick rooted
dandelion type weeds that are hard to get at that go under walls of
house etc. Tried Weedol without much luck . Is * Roundup* any better?
Or is there something unbranded I could get better results with

Thanks for any help

I have had a problem with bindweed and have a nice new system which is
working well. I place a cane near the weed to give it something to grow up.
Then when I am ready I unwind it from the cane and poke it into a poly bag.
Once in I spray in side with roundup and then tie the bag at the top and
leave it in the flower bed. After a couple of weeks the bags can be picked
up and the bindweed is dead. I have found this the least labour intensive
way to deal with the problem and I am winning the battle.
Diane

Old 28-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Franz Heymann

"Pat" wrote in message
Anyone suggest good sprayable weedkiller for perennial weeds -

mainly
vineweed ( at least I think its that ) which grows in borders -

pulls
up easy but thin roots go down a long way ......... also thick

rooted
dandelion type weeds that are hard to get at that go under walls of
house etc. Tried Weedol without much luck . Is * Roundup* any

better?
Or is there something unbranded I could get better results with

Any glyphosate-based weedkiller (Roundup is one) will do the trick.
But be patient with it. It takes a couple of weeks to put paid to a
plant, but when it does, the weed is well and truly dead.

Franz

Old 28-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Pat
writes
Anyone suggest good sprayable weedkiller for perennial weeds - mainly
vineweed ( at least I think its that ) which grows in borders - pulls
up easy but thin roots go down a long way ......... also thick rooted
dandelion type weeds that are hard to get at that go under walls of
house etc. Tried Weedol without much luck . Is * Roundup* any better?
Or is there something unbranded I could get better results with

I suspect you mean bindweed. Tedious stuff to eliminate.

Combination of weedkiller and digging out is most effective. Crucial
tactic is never to let it get leaves into the sun or it stores energy in
the root system. Glyphosate slightly over diluted is optimal with
repeated application - you want the plant to expire very slowly so that
the stuff has plenty of time to translocate through the entire root
system.

Generic glyphosate weedkiller from your favourite DIY store with the
highest % active ingredient per unit cost is best value. Unless that is
you really want to sponsor Monsanto's vision of Roundup with everything
agriculture.

Dandelions should be trivial. Almost anything will kill them - even a
12" screwdriver.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 28-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Kay

In article , Martin Brown
writes

I suspect you mean bindweed. Tedious stuff to eliminate.

Combination of weedkiller and digging out is most effective. Crucial
tactic is never to let it get leaves into the sun or it stores energy in
the root system. Glyphosate slightly over diluted is optimal with
repeated application - you want the plant to expire very slowly so that
the stuff has plenty of time to translocate through the entire root
system.

Generic glyphosate weedkiller from your favourite DIY store with the
highest % active ingredient per unit cost is best value. Unless that is
you really want to sponsor Monsanto's vision of Roundup with everything
agriculture.

Dandelions should be trivial. Almost anything will kill them - even a
12" screwdriver.

Blimey! I'd far rather deal with bindweed than dandelions. At least
bindweed doesn't multiply.
--
Kay

Weedkiller. chris.sperry United Kingdom 4 07-05-2003 08:44 AM
weedkiller, roundup, knockdown Frank Logullo Gardening 5 05-05-2003 02:44 PM
Grass Killer (weedkiller) welshman United Kingdom 3 29-04-2003 08:33 PM
Weedkiller TAK United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 11:14 AM
Environmentally Friendly Weedkiller Jane Ransom United Kingdom 3 28-09-2002 04:51 PM