Old 13-05-2010, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default artichokes

planted about a dozen tubers on saturday

roll on November.......

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 13-05-2010, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
planted about a dozen tubers on saturday

roll on November.......

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Two for a Pound in Tesco's

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 13-05-2010, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
planted about a dozen tubers on saturday

roll on November.......

There are some on the 'swap table' at the allotments.
I like them roasted.
However I have heard that they can be invasive and difficult to remove if
you get tired of them.
How easy are they to control?

Old 13-05-2010, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

countymayo wrote:
I planted 20 tubers of Jerusalem and they have come through remarkedly
quickly. I bought the less knobbly type from Mr. Fothergill as I was
told that they peel very easily, anyone here grown them?

Did you not get the ones I sent? I sent 4 or 5 lots to people on
the ng but have only had one acknowledgement that they ever got where
they were going, I think.
there could be a PO depot somewhere which is going to find itself
overwhelmed in a few months!
Old 13-05-2010, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
However I have heard that they can be invasive and difficult to remove if
you get tired of them.
How easy are they to control?

We planted some 4 years ago, didn't like them, and have not been able to get
shut of them since! One even cropped up at home recently, so not quite sure
how that happened! They grow back grow back from the tiniest slither of the
tuber, too, so if you dig them out and accidentally slice a bit, it'll be
back.

Although to be fair, probably still not as invasive as some of the purple
potatoes we tried the year after ...

Old 13-05-2010, 04:38 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_2_] View Post
However I have heard that they can be invasive and difficult to remove if
you get tired of them.
How easy are they to control?
Not too bad if you recognise them at 3 inches high. About 2 years to be completely clear of them if you're determined. I wouldn't let it put me off. But it depends how frequently you can inspect the plot and pull out any youngsters.
Old 13-05-2010, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 May, 15:38, kay wrote:
'David WE Roberts[_2_ Wrote:

;887135']
However I have heard that they can be invasive and difficult to remove
if
you get tired of them.
How easy are they to control?

Not too bad if you recognise them at 3 inches high. About 2 years to be
completely clear of them if you're determined. I wouldn't let it put me
off. But it depends how frequently you can inspect the plot and pull out
any youngsters.

--
kay

Easy to get rid off, all you need is one badger, each time I have
tried to grow them they have grown well then the Autumn a nice
friendly baddger has removed them in one night and nothing left to
grow back the next year.
The badger is also partial to carrots, sweetcorn .....
I am now building a 22m x 8m cage to keep out Brock, and his friends
the foxes and rabbits.and with luck I will be able to grow some veg,
the top netting will also keep out the birds.
David Hill
Old 13-05-2010, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...
kay wrote:
'David WE Roberts Wrote:
[...]

I bet it wasn't just snoring you could hear coming from the set then. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 11:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 03:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 10:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 11:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 10:38 PM