Old 11-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Bob H

Default What to kill tree stump?

Hi,
I have 2 oldish tree stumps in my front garden and each year they
start to produce shoots which grow quite well. I don't want the shoots
to grow and I have to keep cutting them back, so I was wondering what
could I use to kill off the stump. It is in the back of a
flowerbed/border so whatever I use it would have to be carefully done.

Thanks
--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 11-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Kent

The usual method is by ammonium sulphamate (Amcide) or glyphosate (Roundup).

If Amcide crystals are used drill holes 1" diameter and 2" deep and fill with crystals. Cover holes to keep out the rain. If Roundup is used then apply with a paint brush.

John
Old 12-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Bob H

Ok, thanks to all who have replied to my question.
It sounds easy enough to do with the right stuff.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 13-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Robert E A Harvey

Martin Brown wrote
Big tree roots
take a very long time to rot away so you might want a stump grinder
instead.

You know, I've heard so much about these the last 3 or 4 years and
never seen one. You inspired me to look them up on the net.

What's the trick? You just remove the stump down to a few inches
below the soil? I can't see from the pictures that you'd get much
deeper than that.
Old 14-07-2004, 02:40 PM
ned

"Bob H" wrote in message
Hi,
I have 2 oldish tree stumps in my front garden and each year

they
start to produce shoots which grow quite well. I don't want the

shoots
to grow and I have to keep cutting them back, so I was wondering

what
could I use to kill off the stump. It is in the back of a
flowerbed/border so whatever I use it would have to be carefully

done.

I have had success in stump killing by drilling holes in the stump,
filling them with diesel, and covering as previously recommended.
Killing the stump is one thing. Waiting for it to rot away is
something else. But if they are at the back of the border, perhaps
that is no big deal.

--
ned
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Old 15-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Bob H
writes
Hi,
I have 2 oldish tree stumps in my front garden and each year they
start to produce shoots which grow quite well. I don't want the shoots
to grow and I have to keep cutting them back, so I was wondering what
could I use to kill off the stump. It is in the back of a
flowerbed/border so whatever I use it would have to be carefully done.

Drill some holes into it and add ammonium sulphamate usually sold as
"Root out". It more or less does what it says on the tin. Big tree roots
take a very long time to rot away so you might want a stump grinder
instead.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 15-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Robert E A Harvey

Martin Brown wrote
Big tree roots
take a very long time to rot away so you might want a stump grinder
instead.

You know, I've heard so much about these the last 3 or 4 years and
never seen one. You inspired me to look them up on the net.

What's the trick? You just remove the stump down to a few inches
below the soil? I can't see from the pictures that you'd get much
deeper than that.

ELM tree stump- cannot kill it Dave_S Gardening 9 04-02-2021 08:55 PM
Kill stump Higgs Boson Gardening 15 11-02-2010 07:50 PM
Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 09:32 PM
how can i kill a tree stump? kaz44 United Kingdom 25 04-03-2006 05:18 PM
How to kill a tree stump Scoby United Kingdom 22 27-08-2003 12:12 AM