Old 29-07-2004, 05:08 PM
smileygonzo1961

Default Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter?

hi guys,

ou new garden has a beech hedge and I wondered whether I could cut it with a
hedge cutter or do I need to prune it by hand using shears? are there any
benefits/disadvantes cutter vs. shears?

I don't want to try the cutter if it will damage the hedge.......

any ideas anyone.

many thanx,
smileygonzo1961

Old 29-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Oxymel of Squill

of course not, beech hedge cutters are for beech hedges and petrol hedge
cutters are for petrol hedges

Old 29-07-2004, 07:56 PM
nambucca

"smileygonzo1961" wrote in message
hi guys,

ou new garden has a beech hedge and I wondered whether I could cut it with

hedge cutter or do I need to prune it by hand using shears? are there any
benefits/disadvantes cutter vs. shears?

I don't want to try the cutter if it will damage the hedge.......

any ideas anyone.

many thanx,
smileygonzo1961

IMHO its better to use secateurs on a beech hedge but plenty of people do

use shears or hedge trimmers

Old 29-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Jim S

There are no problems at all in using a petrol/electric hedgecutter.
Especially if its a long hedge

Old 29-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Nick Gray

"smileygonzo1961" wrote in message
hi guys,

ou new garden has a beech hedge and I wondered whether I could cut it with

hedge cutter or do I need to prune it by hand using shears? are there any
benefits/disadvantes cutter vs. shears?

I don't want to try the cutter if it will damage the hedge.......

any ideas anyone.

many thanx,
smileygonzo1961

I used to use a hedge cutter on my 200ft beech hedge, but have since found
that using secateurs I can 'prune' branches to up or sideways pointing buds,
thus thickening up the hedge.

BTW It's best to leave pruning until the hedge is dormant, although I find
that pruning in the depths of winter, removes a lot of the brown leaves, so
I tend to leave until spring.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 30-07-2004, 12:39 AM
Sacha

On 29/7/04 16:08, in article ,
"smileygonzo1961" wrote:

hi guys,

ou new garden has a beech hedge and I wondered whether I could cut it with a
hedge cutter or do I need to prune it by hand using shears? are there any
benefits/disadvantes cutter vs. shears?

I don't want to try the cutter if it will damage the hedge.......

I'll admit straight away that I've never trimmed a beech hedge but imagine
all those many, many yards of them in some houses. I doubt most seriously
that they use shears in all cases
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Nick
Gray writes

"smileygonzo1961" wrote in message
hi guys,

ou new garden has a beech hedge and I wondered whether I could cut it with

hedge cutter or do I need to prune it by hand using shears? are there any
benefits/disadvantes cutter vs. shears?

Yes. You get left with a few half leaves using a hedge cutter. But you
can always go over it with secateurs afterwards to neaten it up, and
chose good buds. I am presently working on thinning my hedges.

I don't want to try the cutter if it will damage the hedge.......

Most plants used for hedging are pretty tolerant of abuse. I generally
trim out the sappy new growth with the hedge trimmer from time to time.
Earlier in the year I had trouble with clouds of white fly cutting it in
leaf.

I used to use a hedge cutter on my 200ft beech hedge, but have since found
that using secateurs I can 'prune' branches to up or sideways pointing buds,
thus thickening up the hedge.

BTW It's best to leave pruning until the hedge is dormant, although I find
that pruning in the depths of winter, removes a lot of the brown leaves, so
I tend to leave until spring.

Mine doesn't seem to mind when it is cut. The new growth comes back
within a few weeks mid season so any temporary damage to leaves is
quickly masked.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 30-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Paul D.Smith

[snip]
I used to use a hedge cutter on my 200ft beech hedge, but have since found
that using secateurs I can 'prune' branches to up or sideways pointing

buds,
thus thickening up the hedge.

BTW It's best to leave pruning until the hedge is dormant, although I find
that pruning in the depths of winter, removes a lot of the brown leaves,

so
I tend to leave until spring.

I've also read that when you want to reduce the height of a hedge, you cut
back to about one foot lower that you want, which allows the bush to grow
naturally up to your preferred height rather than just looking hacked off.
This presumably applies more to a "thorough overhaul" than a regular trim!
I imagine similar applies to cutting a hedge back too.

Paul DS.