Old 08-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Broadback

Default How to tell when my peaches ripe?

By the book peaches in this area, North Staffordshire, should not be
ripe until the end of the month, or even September. I don't want the
wasps to have them, they have enjoyed my apples and plums before they
were ripe, so I want to pick them as soon as possible.

What are the indications of ripe peaches, and if I pick them while still
a little hard will they ripen as supermarket (please excuse the
swearing) peaches do?
TIA
--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Kay

In article , Broadback
writes
By the book peaches in this area, North Staffordshire, should not be
ripe until the end of the month, or even September. I don't want the
wasps to have them, they have enjoyed my apples and plums before they
were ripe, so I want to pick them as soon as possible.

can you not net them? eg a foot off a pair of old tights over each?

What are the indications of ripe peaches, and if I pick them while still
a little hard will they ripen as supermarket (please excuse the
swearing) peaches do?

They'll probably ripen *exactly* as a supermarket one does, and with a
similarly full flavour ;-p

--
Kay

Old 08-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Broadback

Kay wrote:
In article , Broadback
writes

By the book peaches in this area, North Staffordshire, should not be
ripe until the end of the month, or even September. I don't want the
wasps to have them, they have enjoyed my apples and plums before they
were ripe, so I want to pick them as soon as possible.

can you not net them? eg a foot off a pair of old tights over each?

What are the indications of ripe peaches, and if I pick them while still
a little hard will they ripen as supermarket (please excuse the
swearing) peaches do?

They'll probably ripen *exactly* as a supermarket one does, and with a
similarly full flavour ;-p

Thanks Kay, I don't wear tights, also I am pleased to say that there are
quite a number. I'll have a go with very fine netting.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Dwayne

Peaches will come off easy when ripe. I would not pick them early. They
get 90 percent of their sweetness and flavor within the last 5 days of
ripening on the tree. That is why they are so hard and flavorless at when
buying them at the marked, when compared to those picked the proper time.
This information was provided by a man who raised peaches and apples for a
living.

Dwayne