Slugs in my house - how to get rid?

Old 17-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Mike

Hello,

I too had this problem a few years ago.Each morning I would see a slug trail
in my hallway.

I can't remember what I did (probably put down pellets) ,but I can remember
I traced them coming through a tiny gap between the bottom of my front door
and the step.

Mike.

Old 17-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Matthew Durkin

Default Slugs in my house - how to get rid?

....I'm not kidding!
Every night 1 or 2 slugs appear from seemingly nowhere and crawl around all
over the floor in my hallway, dining room and louge. The floors are stripped
wood so I guess they might be able to get through a small crack somewhere. I
thought if I waited a while they'd die - lack of food. No such luck.
Every morning there's not a sign of them, other than the slime they leave
all over the floor, rugs etc. So far they don't seem to have got to any of
my houseplants.
Last night one climbed up a chair and onto my suit jacket that was over the
chair. Now it is war - they have gone too far!!

But how can I get rid of them? I can hardly start laying slug pellets around
my floors! Is there something I can put down they'll be attracted to that
will then kill them that's not messy all over my house?
Help!!

P.S. It might be snails, but you'd think I'd be able to find the damn thnigs
if it is!!

Old 17-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Jabba

I had a similar problem, so I just got up late at night found the little
buggers and disposed of them ... no more slugs.

Old 17-08-2004, 11:28 PM
kenty ;-\)

Have a late night & wait in the dark with a torch for there arrival,sounds
mad but worth it to get rid of the slimy suckers!!

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 17-08-2004, 11:54 PM
shazzbat

[...]

I think beer traps should be the best bet for indoors. Jam jars with an
inch or so of beer in them, and flush the contents down the loo in the
morning.

Steve

Old 18-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"shazzbat" wrote in message

I think beer traps should be the best bet for indoors. Jam jars with an
inch or so of beer in them, and flush the contents down the loo in the
morning.

I would concur. I have had slugs get into my kitchen now and then,
particuarly since my boyfriend's slug-eating dog was rehomed - she used to
scare them off or eat them I guess.

Beer traps seem to work now (I couldn't use them when she was still here cos
I'd have a drunk dog in the morning ;-) )

Also helpful was to go to my kitchen wall which was an outside wall (if that
makes sense) and look in all the cupboards and behind all the appliances and
either pug or seal all the little holes around pipes and outlets up. I
sealed most of them with a flexible sealant to allow for cold weather
contraction and so on but to keep the slugs out. It's cut down on their
appearance anyway. Where you think they night get in will be the factor in
deciding if this will work for you - I knew they weren't coming up from
under the floor as it's a stone floor and they'd have to be pretty
determined to conquer that !

Rachael

Old 18-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Chris J Dixon

Matthew Durkin wrote:

...I'm not kidding!
Every night 1 or 2 slugs appear from seemingly nowhere and crawl around all
over the floor in my hallway, dining room and louge. The floors are stripped
wood so I guess they might be able to get through a small crack somewhere. I
thought if I waited a while they'd die - lack of food. No such luck.

But how can I get rid of them? I can hardly start laying slug pellets around
my floors! Is there something I can put down they'll be attracted to that
will then kill them that's not messy all over my house?
Help!!

I had this problem some years ago in a rented house. They were
coming from the cellars and under the door. The only non-toxic
precaution I could find is salt, but I guess you don't want your
floors looking like a salt mine either.

What is under your floors?

Try slug pellets around the outside of the property, they do seem
to have an attractant, which may be enough to entice them away.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 18-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Phil L

Matthew Durkin wrote:
:: ...I'm not kidding!
:: Every night 1 or 2 slugs appear from seemingly nowhere and crawl
:: around all over the floor in my hallway, dining room and louge.
:: The floors are stripped wood so I guess they might be able to get
:: through a small crack somewhere. I thought if I waited a while
:: they'd die - lack of food. No such luck.
:: Every morning there's not a sign of them, other than the slime
:: they leave all over the floor, rugs etc. So far they don't seem to
:: have got to any of my houseplants.
:: Last night one climbed up a chair and onto my suit jacket that was
:: over the chair. Now it is war - they have gone too far!!
::
:: But how can I get rid of them? I can hardly start laying slug
:: pellets around my floors! Is there something I can put down
:: they'll be attracted to that will then kill them that's not messy
:: all over my house?
:: Help!!
::
:: P.S. It might be snails, but you'd think I'd be able to find the
:: damn thnigs if it is!!

My guess is that it's slugs, and they are probably coming in through the
front door...at the bottom, where the door closes, is a storm cill, which
the door closes against...any rain driving against the outside of the door
drains away through two pre-drilled holes in the face of it at it's lowest
point, it can't get back into the house because the bottom is sloped towards
the exterior...IME, these holes are being used as entrance holes and the
slugs are coming through, underneath the bottom of the door and into your
house, they are probably getting out the same way.
My suggestion is to put crushed eggshells or even slug pellets in this metal
cill, until of course you can fit a strip of rubber or even aluminium to the
bottom of the door to seal the gap under the door when it's closed. (most
storm cills have one fitted but this rarely lasts long with people
continually walking over it.)

HTH

New house, big yard, what next??? Keegan Alex Gardening 14 07-04-2003 05:56 AM
A wonderful little old lady gardener and a long ramble......................... madgard Gardening 5 24-02-2003 07:40 AM
On Slugs - Slug and snails nuisance ~ rob ~ United Kingdom 0 15-12-2002 02:05 AM
Snails and slugs George D Permaculture 0 29-10-2002 04:27 AM
Slugs in the house? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 30-09-2002 08:17 AM