Old 21-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Steve Jackson

Default Agapanthus

I have a number of these Agapanthus plants in containers on my patio,
and have fed and watered them religiously this summer, having kept them
indoors frost free all last winter, bringing them back outdoors in May.
Several of them are large plants, but none of them have flowered this
year at all - not one single flower stem!

Anyone offer advice on what I may have done wrong please? Are they worth
over-wintering again?

Any help appreciated
--
Steve Jackson
Hatton Park
Old 21-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:48:39 +0100, Steve Jackson
wrote:

I have a number of these Agapanthus plants in containers on my patio,
and have fed and watered them religiously this summer, having kept them
indoors frost free all last winter, bringing them back outdoors in May.
Several of them are large plants, but none of them have flowered this
year at all - not one single flower stem!

Anyone offer advice on what I may have done wrong please? Are they worth
over-wintering again?

Any help appreciated

What have you fed them with? Too much nitrogen? Haave they plenty of
leaf?
I don't keep mine indoors in winter, but in a sheltered place where
they stay dry. (I'd put them in a cold greenhouse if I had one.
The larger the leaf, the less hardy they are. My narrow leafed ones
in containers stay out in the open.
I have not had so many flowers in total on my plants as last year so I
am feeding with tomato feed NOW. Last night on GW they said feed
agapanthus now with seaweed solution to encourage flowers for next
year, so I did that also!
They are always worth the effort. Give them another chance. They are
marvellous when in flower!

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-08-2004, 11:59 PM

Steve Jackson wrote:
I have a number of these Agapanthus plants in containers on my patio,
and have fed and watered them religiously this summer, having kept them
indoors frost free all last winter, bringing them back outdoors in May.
Several of them are large plants, but none of them have flowered this
year at all - not one single flower stem!

Anyone offer advice on what I may have done wrong please? Are they worth
over-wintering again?

Any help appreciated
--
Steve Jackson
Hatton Park
Warwick

They are always more likely to flower, if they are pot-bound, or
container-bound. Full sun is always best. When over-wintering, it is best to
keep the root system almost completely dry, otherwise the roots might rot. Is
it possible for you to examine the root system, to see if it is healthy? If it
isn't, that might be a reason for not flowering.
Best of luck, John

Old 22-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Steve Jackson

In message , Pam Moore
writes
What have you fed them with? Too much nitrogen? Haave they plenty of
leaf?

#

Thank you to Pam and John for the prompt replies.

I have been feeding them with a general fertiliser (it's blue!) and will
certainly try the seaweed and tomato feed.

They have plenty of leaf, and I did keep the roots dry last winter BUT I
did re-pot them last August, so perhaps that is the problem.

I will persevere with them then because I do love everyone else's
Agapanthus flowers:-)
--
Steve in Warwick
Old 23-08-2004, 09:41 AM
jane

~
~Anyone offer advice on what I may have done wrong please? Are they worth
~over-wintering again?
~
Funny there should be a lot of blind agapanthus threads this year. It
was one of the questions on GQT yesterday! Apparently a lot of them
haven't done well this year (I have not got any flowers either in my
oldest well-establised roots) because last year was so hot they set
viable seed. People left these seed heads on which depleted the
plants' supplies and so they didn't flower this year.

Their advice was to cut off the flower heads once they have died back,
so they don't waste energy on seed production. To the comment , 'but
they're pretty!' Bob F said to cut them off, stick a matchstick up the
stem and stick it back on!

Yes they are well worth the effort. Very few flowers are that clear
blue.
I did get flowers on my Agapanthus Streamline (a miniature evergreen
variety - really pretty) and on my cheapo 9-for-£9 potful. I bought
the crowns of the latter two years ago and had two flower stems this
year - one more than last year. Hopefully this will improve as they
get bigger and one day I'll have a really spectacular display.
I overwintered the £9 pot in the conservatory - bit too warm so the
first flowerhead was in April! Streamline I left outside accidentally
but it did fine (evergreens are less hardy) and the others are in a
border.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 23-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Steve Jackson

In message , jane
writes
Funny there should be a lot of blind agapanthus threads this year. It
was one of the questions on GQT yesterday! Apparently a lot of them
haven't done well this year (I have not got any flowers either in my
oldest well-establised roots) because last year was so hot they set
viable seed. People left these seed heads on which depleted the
plants' supplies and so they didn't flower this year.

Great reply thanks Jane and some very interesting observations - when I
get some flowers, I will dead head and use the matchsticks!!

Glad you had some success at least.

Steve just outside Warwick
Old 27-08-2004, 10:57 PM
keith Alexander

They flower best when pot bound so if the current pots are large with plenty
of room for future root growth either replant all in to fewer pots or bung
some more in the existing pots or next year stick in some competition,
Cannas and Gingers go well!

I have four in flower now five year old plants in crowded six inch pots I
stopped feeding in June and only started feeding again once the flowers
opened, don't over feed some plants flower better if the think they are
about to croak!

"Steve Jackson" wrote in message
I have a number of these Agapanthus plants in containers on my patio, and
have fed and watered them religiously this summer, having kept them indoors
frost free all last winter, bringing them back outdoors in May. Several of
them are large plants, but none of them have flowered this year at all -
not one single flower stem!

Anyone offer advice on what I may have done wrong please? Are they worth
over-wintering again?

Any help appreciated
--
Steve Jackson
Hatton Park
Warwick

Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Ruth Australia 11 22-01-2011 11:28 AM
Agapanthus Rob Webb Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Agapanthus Loosecannon Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM
Agapanthus tangle John United Kingdom 2 08-03-2003 06:22 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM