Old 24-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Alan Walsh

Default Fencing Problems, Anyone Help?

I have recently discovered that apparently you can't buy
creosote anymore, so as my fence was in dire need of renovation
I tried to make my own creosote substitute from petrol, thinners, wood
stain and light mechanical oil.
Unfortunately the results have been somewhat disappointing to say the least
which is a surprise as I was told on good authority that the above mixture
would have the same nett result as 'real' creosote.

The fence is now looking rather the worse for wear and the panels I have
'creosoted' are now badly discoloured and seem to be splitting more than
they were before!
On top of that the neighbour commented on the smell ands asked if it was
likely to persist.
Any suggestions on how I could save the fence or is it 'rip it up & start
again' ?

Alan

Old 24-08-2004, 05:54 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Alan Walsh" wrote in message
I have recently discovered that apparently you can't buy
creosote anymore, so as my fence was in dire need of renovation
I tried to make my own creosote substitute from petrol, thinners, wood
stain and light mechanical oil.
Unfortunately the results have been somewhat disappointing to say the

least
which is a surprise as I was told on good authority that the above mixture
would have the same nett result as 'real' creosote.

The fence is now looking rather the worse for wear and the panels I have
'creosoted' are now badly discoloured and seem to be splitting more than
they were before!
On top of that the neighbour commented on the smell ands asked if it was
likely to persist.
Any suggestions on how I could save the fence or is it 'rip it up & start
again' ?

If the fence was in such poor condition that it needed renovation then even
creosote wouldn't have helped. I have never used the stuff personally as I
hate the smell and the fact that it burds plants. I have always used one of
the nice coloured water based ones and found them to be very good.
You might have to bite the bullet and buy new.

Old 24-08-2004, 06:52 PM
chris

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:05:13 +0000 (UTC), "Alan Walsh"
wrote:

I have recently discovered that apparently you can't buy
creosote anymore, so as my fence was in dire need of renovation
I tried to make my own creosote substitute from petrol, thinners, wood
stain and light mechanical oil.
Unfortunately the results have been somewhat disappointing to say the least
which is a surprise as I was told on good authority that the above mixture
would have the same nett result as 'real' creosote.

The fence is now looking rather the worse for wear and the panels I have
'creosoted' are now badly discoloured and seem to be splitting more than
they were before!
On top of that the neighbour commented on the smell ands asked if it was
likely to persist.
Any suggestions on how I could save the fence or is it 'rip it up & start
again' ?

Alan

Engine oil from an oil change and a gallon of red diesel - mix up to
your preference. Works a treat
Old 24-08-2004, 07:13 PM
kenty ;-\)

I would give it a couple of coats of cuprinol fence paint.But if it is in a
really bad state then replace it.If it is securely fixed to the posts with
no broken /damaged panels etc then the paint job should do.You are the
person who knows if the fence is worth saving.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 25-08-2004, 08:43 PM
bnd777

"Alan Walsh" wrote in message
[...]

You can buy "new formula" creosote i have bought 3 cans in recent months

.......try a farm shop type place if the DIY stores dont have it

Old 25-08-2004, 10:14 PM
David Hill

Alan askew.........."I have recently discovered that apparently you can't
buy creosote anymore..............Any suggestions on how I could save the
fence or is it 'rip it up & start again' ?..."

Why creosote?
Not good for plants or people.
There are many other wood preservatives on the market as good as if not
better.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 26-08-2004, 12:49 AM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"David Hill" wrote in message
Alan askew.........."I have recently discovered that apparently you can't
buy creosote anymore..............Any suggestions on how I could save the
fence or is it 'rip it up & start again' ?..."

Why creosote?
Not good for plants or people.
There are many other wood preservatives on the market as good as if not
better.

A lot of 'the older generation' like to use what they have always used and
are loath to try these 'new fangled' things, like non cancerous, water based
treatments :0)

Old 26-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Alan Walsh

Actually, someone suggested I 'tar' the fence to preserve it,
so I might try that at some point......
I've tried removing my own creosote 'attempt' using hot water
and caustic soda, so far with disappointing results especially
as the patio slabs got stained in the process.
Oh well, out comes the blowtorch and wire brush to try and
clean those up now!
It's never ending!

Alan

Old 26-08-2004, 10:17 AM
David Hill

I use Cuprinol when I am treating benching, new timber for frames etc,and
they do a range with woodstain incorporated.
I have used other water based products which have a water repellent in them,
with quite good results.
The "sheds" and several builders merchants have own brands, and/or special
offers on products, many of which will do a good job.
You have to think that if you are going to treat your fence what is going to
happen to the side in your neighbours garden?
You should be doing that as well or you are wasting your time, and he/she
may not want something that could "burn" plants close to the fence on hot
weather when creosote can give off fumes, several years after treating.
My neighbour who is not a gardener but has several horses swears by old oil
thinned with Diesel oil.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries