Old 31-08-2004, 02:08 AM
Dave Robinson

Default Mountfield Lawn Tractor advice (model 1436H)

I have just had a year old MTD lawn tractor replaced by my friendly
insurance company (thanks to the xxxx who stole it!) with a Mountfield
1436H. This, like my old MTD has a 36inch cut, and direct feed to a
rear collection box.

On first impression, the Mountfield looks good (simpler mechanism,
plastic not metal bodywork, quieter engine) BUT I find that I cannot
cut the grass at a setting lower than number 3 (out of 7) without the
feeder getting clogged up with cuttings. Is this normal, or has the
machine been set-up wrongly in some way? I have tried ensuring that
the lawn is bone dry, and have also cut the lawn down to the "3"
setting first.

Am I missing something, or has the insurance company supplied me with
a mower that is pants?

The old MTD (again 36inch cut, twin blade... model on sale in B&Q) had
no trouble with wet grass.... though I get the impression that the
output chute was a bit bigger than the Mountfield.

The only other thing I can think is that on seting 3, the output chute
makes a clean line into the collector bin, whereas lower settings (1
or 2) puts a bit of an extra slope onto the exit chute, so the grass
does not flow so well & hence clogs.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Has the mower been set up
incorrectly? If not, is there a work-around?

Dave R.
Old 31-08-2004, 07:49 AM
mich

"Dave Robinson" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My brother used to make them and quality control for them.
I'll ask him , see what he says. Back soon.

Dave R.

Old 06-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Dave_R.

An update....

Today I discovered that if I cut the grass on setting 1 (the lowest)
the mower chute clogs up within about 10 seconds. However, the answer
is to keep on mowing, and just let the clippings collect on the lawn.
In fact, the mower mulches the clippings into the lawn. THEN, go &
clear out the collector chute in the mower and go back over the whole
piece at height setting 3..... the mower picks up all the loose
clippings leaving a reasonably good finish.

OK, so it is not as straightforward as cutting the lawn once with a
mower that picks up the grass properly :-( but on the plus side, it
does mulch the cuttings into the lawn and cuts down on the amount of
grass to dump on the compost heap :-)

Still, it would be nice to hear how anyone else with a Mountfield
manages. It would also be nice to know how a manufacturer can get away
with a design that is so bad!

Dave R.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered User

Dave

I know this is a really old post, but I just bought a MTD1436H and have exactly the same problem as you. It just doesn't pick anything up - I actualy wondered if it has the mulching kit fitted by mistake, as it just grinds the grass up rather than blowing it into the collector. Did you make any progress? Did you manage to get it to collect? Please let me know.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Robinson View Post

Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lophomann View Post
Dave

I know this is a really old post, but I just bought a MTD1436H and have exactly the same problem as you. It just doesn't pick anything up - I actualy wondered if it has the mulching kit fitted by mistake, as it just grinds the grass up rather than blowing it into the collector. Did you make any progress? Did you manage to get it to collect? Please let me know.

Thanks
OK so yes, my insurance company replaced my Murray mower which was squashed when the roof of my shed caved in with the snow. They paid for a Mountfield 1436 and yes - a beautiful machine - but it simply doesn't pick up the grass cuttings. What is more annoying is the fact that when, by default, it reverts to "mulch" mode the belt soon burns out because of the extra strain on the cutters. At £66 each belt this is a major issue.
I took this up with the manufacturers but they were unwilling to help.

Regards

Jon