Old 17-09-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Eating Blighted Potatoes

Digging up my blighted potatoe patch I find that only about 1/3 are
obviously affected .

Is it safe to eat those which appear to be free of the blight ?
Old 17-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Rod

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:55:18 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Digging up my blighted potatoe patch I find that only about 1/3 are
obviously affected .

Is it safe to eat those which appear to be free of the blight ?

If they appear free of blight. then they are free of blight and fit to
eat. You need to get your eye well trained to spot even the slightest
sign of blight on a dirty wet spud but it can be done. You then check
again in the kitchen when preparing them. You also need to keep
checking the bags of stored potatoes - your nose is the best tool for
this. Once you know what a blighted spud smells like, it's a smell you
won't forget and you'll be able to detect a single bad one in a bag.
In that case tip out the whole bag and find the bad one(s), dry or
remove any that have been in close contact with the bad one(s) then
rebag the rest.
iirc there were some medical problems with blighted spuds in WW2, I
think these were mostly in relation to pregnant women but you need to
check the facts - don't rely on my blighted memory.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 17-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rod wrote:
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:55:18 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Digging up my blighted potatoe patch I find that only about 1/3 are
obviously affected .

Is it safe to eat those which appear to be free of the blight ?

If they appear free of blight. then they are free of blight and fit to
eat. ... - your nose is the best tool for
this. Once you know what a blighted spud smells like, it's a smell you
won't forget and you'll be able to detect a single bad one in a bag.

Right on.

iirc there were some medical problems with blighted spuds in WW2, I
think these were mostly in relation to pregnant women but you need to
check the facts - don't rely on my blighted memory.

Actually, mainly in Ireland in the 19th century, but the rest of your
memory remains unblighted. When looking up about Physalis species
(ask if you dare), I found some evidence that even pregnant women
aren't as much at risk as used to be believed.

The evidence was that some of the alkaloids (e.g. solanin) are known
to be teratogenic (causing malformation of the foetus), but that a
'defending' chemical is vitamin C. Now, one of the first effects
of blight on a potato tuber is to reduce its vitamin C content, and
the Irish of that era got most of their vitamin C from potatoes.

So it is POSSIBLE that blighted potatoes are dangerous only to
pregnant women who are also not eating enough vitamin C. But, to
be safe, don't let any woman between 6 and 60[*] eat any that you
think might be blighted :-)
[*] Don't ask me why that is the conventional range, but it is.
Or at least was, back in the 1960s. Nowadays, given the effect of
various hormone pills, 7 to 70 would probably be more reliable.
Oh, for a reference, try Doctor at Sea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:38:59 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The evidence was that some of the alkaloids (e.g. solanin) are known
to be teratogenic (causing malformation of the foetus),(snip)

IIRC, in the 60's there was thought to be a link between pregnant
women eating potatoes which had been exposed to light and turned green
(raised solanin level), and spina bifida in their children. I can't
recall if the theory was proven. AFAIK it's a separate issue from
blight.

You remember correctly, Janet.

Except perhaps for the last sentence. If the papers I saw were correct,
it was a slightly different symptom of the same effect - they weren't
100% certain that the deduction was correct, but an awful lot of people
in the UK today don't get enough vitamin C.

It is possible that the malformations in Ireland were caused, not by
eating blighted potatoes, but because the blighted potatoes didn't
provide enough vitamin C to protect against the solanin from the
slightly green potatoes that they almost certainly also ate.

So, if you have any dicky potatoes, feed them to males and females
that can be guaranteed to be infertile. Seriously :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.