Old 06-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Andy

Default Greenhouse heater problem

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:49:58 -0800, "Gary B"
wrote:

I have a problem with my paraffin heater it burns for around 5 hours then
stops. When i look at the wicks they have a hard carbon deposit on them.
When I knock this off I can relight them but they go out again in after the
same amout of time.I cant do this through the night ( I'm not that
dedicated).Also I've tried new wicks.

Be glad of your help

GaryB

Not enough air? Is the flame yellow or blue?

Andy
Old 06-02-2003, 08:28 PM
david

I should think you have the wick up to height. light the wick then check on
it after about 10 mins, the flame tends to get larger as the stove warms up,
you want a nice BLUE flame with no sign of yellow.
I used to be able to trim the wicks just once a week, and I had 6 double
burner stoves burning , sometimes 24 hours a day if it was cold.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 07-02-2003, 08:06 AM
Druss

"david" wrote in message
I should think you have the wick up to height. light the wick then check

on
it after about 10 mins, the flame tends to get larger as the stove warms

up,
you want a nice BLUE flame with no sign of yellow.
I used to be able to trim the wicks just once a week, and I had 6 double
burner stoves burning , sometimes 24 hours a day if it was cold.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Is this for parrafin burning, I mean the blue flame bit, because nothing I
do to mine will ever make it burn blue, the wicks have been trimed, and nice
fresh parrafin and then the wicks can be turned down after five minutes of
burning and they will go out before they burn blue.
Duncan

Old 07-02-2003, 08:42 AM

I should think you have the wick up to height. light the wick then check

on

it after about 10 mins, the flame tends to get larger as the stove warms

up,

you want a nice BLUE flame with no sign of yellow.
I used to be able to trim the wicks just once a week, and I had 6 double
burner stoves burning , sometimes 24 hours a day if it was cold.

Is this for parrafin burning, I mean the blue flame bit, because nothing I
do to mine will ever make it burn blue, the wicks have been trimed, and nice
fresh parrafin and then the wicks can be turned down after five minutes of
burning and they will go out before they burn blue.
Duncan

Does anyone know can you burn Kerosene (central heating oil) in
a greenhouse heater? I am paying 21.5 per liter at the moment which
is a lot cheaper than parrafin.
cheers Keith

Old 07-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Andy

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:06:30 -0000, "Druss" wrote:

"david" wrote in message
I should think you have the wick up to height. light the wick then check

on
it after about 10 mins, the flame tends to get larger as the stove warms

up,
you want a nice BLUE flame with no sign of yellow.
I used to be able to trim the wicks just once a week, and I had 6 double
burner stoves burning , sometimes 24 hours a day if it was cold.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Is this for parrafin burning, I mean the blue flame bit, because nothing I
do to mine will ever make it burn blue, the wicks have been trimed, and nice
fresh parrafin and then the wicks can be turned down after five minutes of
burning and they will go out before they burn blue.
Duncan

Yellow flame = incomplete combustion = carbon particles + carbon
monoxide. Remember Bunsen burners at school? When you closed the
little vent the flame would turn yellow. You have to increase the
oxygen supply. Make sure any vents aren't blocked/closed or fit some
sort of chimney to increase the air flow.

Andy

Old 07-02-2003, 06:25 PM
david

Yes this is for paraffin heaters.
When you say you trim the wick. what you do is to remove Excess carbon from
it. most heaters come with a gadget to use so that you keep the wick level
after trimming. otherwise turn it down till it is just about level with the
rim , remove the centre fitting then run your finger around the wick just
to remove the excess carbon, replace the centre and you should be ready to
go.
My thought is.How old is the heater?
If its bought as new then why not contact the manufacturer , could just be
a faulty heater. though I have never heard of one.
If you know the make you could still contact the maker for advise.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 08-02-2003, 08:00 AM
david

Does anyone know can you burn Kerosene (central heating oil) in a
greenhouse heater

Yes you can. what you have to be careful of is the sulphur content.your
supplier should be able to tell you , or find out for you.
I think it has to be below 0.05% but I cant swear to that figure.
with a stove burning without an external flue excess sulphur will burn your
plants and work like a dose of weed killer.
I have known a glass house of tomatoes wiped out over night when a heater
burning diesel blew back and the fume was released into the glass house
instead of going up the chimney.
Around 1000 lost in a matter of hours, and there's nothing you can do about
it once they have been dosed.

ONE FINAL THOUGHT about the heater not burning blue, ....could be you have a
yellow flame heater. these produce a lot less heat for the amount of fuel
they burn, and are of much less use than a blue flame heater.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 10-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Druss

"david" wrote in message
[...]

Yea I remember the bunsen burner stuff, but would have thought that some
materials simply burn at a different colour, anyway, the heater in question
is almost new, well new this year, it's got it's chimney's fitted, the only
vent are below the wick and seem fine, and sits in the middle of the 8x6ft
greenhouse. I can't really increase the oxygen supply without leaving a door
open, and that would kinda defeat the object of the heater wouldn't it ?

Ho hum, I can feel some experimenting coming on, have to play with the
heater some more I guess, see if I can make it produce a blue flame.

Duncan