Old 24-09-2004, 04:15 PM
AMO

Default Cheapest hedge trimmer thats recommended - good time of year to buy

Looking for a cheap hedge trimmer that works reasonably well.

Not looking to invest heavily in something I will only use twice a year.

Any recommendations? Any vouchers currently available? Any recommended
buying times of the year?

Thanx.

AMO

Old 24-09-2004, 06:46 PM
H&P

"AMO" wrote in message
Looking for a cheap hedge trimmer that works reasonably well.

Not looking to invest heavily in something I will only use twice a year.

Any recommendations? Any vouchers currently available? Any recommended
buying times of the year?

Thanx.

AMO

Hi there, We use an old electric hedge cutter made by Black & Decker ( it

is really an adapted drill ) and it works. Not too heavy, no fuel to mix,
cheap to buy ( not sure of price as it was a present), chops through Privet
up to half inch and only needs a drop of oil on the blades once a year.

If you have real hedges then you may need something else!
Regards JOE

Old 25-09-2004, 04:01 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"AMO" wrote in message
Looking for a cheap hedge trimmer that works reasonably well.

Not looking to invest heavily in something I will only use twice a year.

Any recommendations? Any vouchers currently available? Any recommended
buying times of the year?

I use a chapoe B&Q own brand one. I have been more than happy with it in
the 3 years I have been using it.

Old 25-09-2004, 05:20 PM
AMO

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

"AMO" wrote in message
Looking for a cheap hedge trimmer that works reasonably well.

Not looking to invest heavily in something I will only use twice a year.

Any recommendations? Any vouchers currently available? Any recommended
buying times of the year?

I use a chapoe B&Q own brand one. I have been more than happy with it in
the 3 years I have been using it.

Thanks for that. How much was it?

I am looking at a few items from Argos which are on offer at the moment:

270/0030 - Challenge Xtreme Cordless Hedge Trimmer - £39.99 (save £10)
720/0047 - Challenge Xtreme Hedge Trimmer - £24.99 (save £5)

1. Are Challenge Xtreme Hedge Trimmers any good?
2. Are these hedge trimmers cheaper than the B&Q one you have?
3. Are cordless ones any good or do they lack power?

Thanx.

AMO

Old 25-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Kay

In article , AMO
writes
"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

"AMO" wrote in message
Looking for a cheap hedge trimmer that works reasonably well.

Not looking to invest heavily in something I will only use twice a year.

Any recommendations? Any vouchers currently available? Any recommended
buying times of the year?

I use a chapoe B&Q own brand one. I have been more than happy with it in
the 3 years I have been using it.

Thanks for that. How much was it?

I am looking at a few items from Argos which are on offer at the moment:

270/0030 - Challenge Xtreme Cordless Hedge Trimmer - £39.99 (save £10)
720/0047 - Challenge Xtreme Hedge Trimmer - £24.99 (save £5)

1. Are Challenge Xtreme Hedge Trimmers any good?
2. Are these hedge trimmers cheaper than the B&Q one you have?
3. Are cordless ones any good or do they lack power?

I've bought a cordless because the hassle of getting power down to the
garden is sufficient to quell any urge to cut the hedge. It won't get
through thick stuff - OK up to about a centimetre - but I've been
impressed by how long the battery has lasted between charges - more than
enough to do about 20 ft of 6ft high hedge, which is as much as I want
to do in one go.

Mine was a cheap model from Focus.
--
Kay

Old 25-09-2004, 11:33 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"AMO" wrote in message
"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

"AMO" wrote in message
Looking for a cheap hedge trimmer that works reasonably well.

Not looking to invest heavily in something I will only use twice a

year.

Any recommendations? Any vouchers currently available? Any

recommended
buying times of the year?

I use a chapoe B&Q own brand one. I have been more than happy with it

in
the 3 years I have been using it.

Thanks for that. How much was it?

I am looking at a few items from Argos which are on offer at the moment:

270/0030 - Challenge Xtreme Cordless Hedge Trimmer - £39.99 (save £10)
720/0047 - Challenge Xtreme Hedge Trimmer - £24.99 (save £5)

1. Are Challenge Xtreme Hedge Trimmers any good?
2. Are these hedge trimmers cheaper than the B&Q one you have?
3. Are cordless ones any good or do they lack power?

IIRC mine was about £30.
Mine is corded but then I am happy to use a corded with an extention lead
as I imagine a cordless one would run down just before you got to the last
part , leaving it untidy until you recharged and finished the job. In my
case I hate the job so want to do it all in one go when I am in the mood.