Old 06-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Alison

Default Wooden bricks for raised beds?

"will" wrote in message
om...
I think it was the 'woodblocx' product, and I've just visited their
website and it SEEMS that a bed that's roughly equivalent to a
rectangular, 6 railway-sleeper bed (ie 2 along the long side and 1 on
each end) would be somewhere between £400 and £500, depending on
whether the wall is 2 or 3 bricks high. The railway sleeper option
would be about £110 by comparison.

I should say that our preferred option is still probably to have no
'wall' at all. Not that we don't like sleepers, but we want awkward
shaped beds that don't really fit in with the sleeper dimensions. The
bricks looked like another option but at that price, no thanks -
especially as we are planning at least 3 beds.

As always, thanks very much for the info, everyone.

Will

Sorry Will, you probably thought that you'd finished the thread but I just
wanted to add my two-penn'orth.

We were VERY impressed. We used them for a retaining wall (area 2m by 5.5m,
sloping, five blocks high) that was going to be done in brick but that meant
digging foundations etc etc and we were heartily bored of that (plus that
area is very 'tree-rooty' and hard to dig). Saw the Woodblocx product as
you did (Joe did use it on a GW episode, but Beechgrove had a real
demonstration) and sought it out. Price compared favourably to bricks. It
was easy to track down suppliers and the helpline in Dingwall is just *so*
helpful - and that was only needed at enquiry stage. It was a sinch to put
up once you'd got your base row level, beetles can still creep in and out as
we didn't put in the permanentising wedges (even two tiny frogs have taken
up residence this winter). And there was no swearing from the other half
which has to be a bonus!

Downside - life has to be led in right angles! The bed that is made with
them is probably the only right angled structure we have. Apparently they
are looking into making the shapes more flexible though.

--A