Old 25-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Curiosity

Default Suggestions for fast growing wind break

Hi

I have and L shaped rear/side garden, each leg 10M wide. The prevaling
winds create a wind tunnel effect around the edge of our Bungalow
where the side garden meets the rear garden. My small conifers are now
starting the grow at an angle :-{

Any suggestion for a fast growing hedge I can grow to act as a
windbreak.

TIA

Paul
Old 26-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Curiosity wrote:

I have and L shaped rear/side garden, each leg 10M wide. The prevaling
winds create a wind tunnel effect around the edge of our Bungalow
where the side garden meets the rear garden. My small conifers are now
starting the grow at an angle :-{

It depends a lot on the soil and how wet you are. There are a lot
of medium-sized willows for wet, buddleja needs good drainage, and
things like hazel are intermediate. Willows and buddleja will
break in strong winds, but it isn't a big deal - stick the broken
ends in the soil and see if they root :-)

The fastest and perhaps most reliable method is a 'fedge', planted
with clematis, honeysuckle etc. in dry conditions or hops in wet.
NOT Jackmanii hybrids, or armandii, if clematis, but the tougher
species and varieties.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Curiosity wrote:

I have and L shaped rear/side garden, each leg 10M wide. The prevaling
winds create a wind tunnel effect around the edge of our Bungalow
where the side garden meets the rear garden. My small conifers are now
starting the grow at an angle :-{

It depends a lot on the soil and how wet you are. There are a lot
of medium-sized willows for wet, buddleja needs good drainage, and
things like hazel are intermediate. Willows and buddleja will
break in strong winds, but it isn't a big deal - stick the broken
ends in the soil and see if they root :-)

The fastest and perhaps most reliable method is a 'fedge', planted
with clematis, honeysuckle etc. in dry conditions or hops in wet.
NOT Jackmanii hybrids, or armandii, if clematis, but the tougher
species and varieties.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

As a climbers fan I would certainly favour the above but you could also
consider,
Salix caprea (deciduous) if site is damp, or Olearia albida, Olearea
traversii, Olearia macrodonta (which are evergreens) if its dryish, If you
want good flowers as well and are not too cold try Hoheria sexstylosa. and
also surprisingly good in exposure on acid soils are the camellias.
These things really will grow on the tops of exposed cliffs and moors, but
be warned, none come equipped with off switches!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Chris Hogg

Curiosity wrote:

[...]

To Charlie's list I would add Escallonia, especially Red Hedger,
Griselinia littoralis and Eleagnus ebbingei. Pittisporum is also good
if you're in a mild area, and Tamarisk if you want a less formal, more
open structured wind break. I second his camellia recommendation. They
put up with a real battering by salt gales in winter on the coast in
the far south-west, and still have lovely flowers in the spring.

--
Chris

Old 26-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

As a climbers fan I would certainly favour the above but you could also
consider,
Salix caprea (deciduous) if site is damp, or Olearia albida, Olearea
traversii, Olearia macrodonta (which are evergreens) if its dryish, If you
want good flowers as well and are not too cold try Hoheria sexstylosa. and
also surprisingly good in exposure on acid soils are the camellias.
These things really will grow on the tops of exposed cliffs and moors, but
be warned, none come equipped with off switches!

Generally, evergreens make bad windbreaks. You don't want to block
the wind, but slow it down. However, I think that the Olearias are
fairly 'thin' evergreens and would do, but I wouldn't use a Camellia.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Philip

Suggestions for fast growing wind break

I have a son, he is growing quickly right now. He breaks wind regularly.

£20 ono, buyer collects.