Old 03-10-2004, 12:40 AM
oknwht?

Default Propagating cedar trees...

Hi
Does anyone have experience in propagating cedar 'twigs'? I want to
start a new hedge. I believe the process is just stick them in the ground
and wait until they generate roots...
I have very sandy soil that does not hold water very well.
Looking for any input to help in getting this project started.
Questions that come to mind:
1. Is it better to use an old twig or a newly generated one?
2. Should the twig be cut at an angle or straight?
3. How deep should it be planted?
4. Is it best to take off most of the branches? i.e. leave lots of branches
or just a few?
5. Can these twigs be encouraged to root by putting them in water?
6. Is there a natural type root encourager? A natural manure type is what I
would like to use.
7. If putting them in water will work what kind of container should be used?
Plastic or a metal coffee can, for example?
Just recently I found a blackberry branch that had developed a multitude
of roots when it landed on potting soil in a wheelbarrow. The soil was moist
but not overly so. (the wheelbarrow was at an angle and excess water would
drain). If blackberries can do it on there own without any help, it
shouldn't be that difficult to duplicate with cedar trees...I hope!
Any input will be appreciated.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Emrys Davies

'Oknwht',

I have over the years had a lot of success propagating conifers, but I
am not going to waffle on when this excellent site tells and shows you
exactly what to do.

http://www.gardenhive.com/trees&shru...heel-cuttings/

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:40:58 GMT, oknwht?
wrote:

Does anyone have experience in propagating cedar 'twigs'? I want to
start a new hedge. I believe the process is just stick them in the ground
and wait until they generate roots...

What variety of cedar are you proposing using? I've never tried it
but I would not think cedar would take from cuttings in the way of
more common conifers like cupressus etc. The ones I have ( in pots)
are grafted.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

Does anyone have experience in propagating cedar 'twigs'? I

want
to start a new hedge. I believe the process is just stick them in
the ground and wait until they generate roots...

What variety of cedar are you proposing using? I've never tried it
but I would not think cedar would take from cuttings in the way of
more common conifers like cupressus etc. The ones I have ( in

pots)
are grafted.

They come very easily from ripe seed. Do they make good hedging
plants, though? I don't think I've ever seen a cedar hedge.

Mike.