Sodium Chlorate or Paraquat?

Old 28-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Carol Russell

Default Sodium Chlorate or Paraquat?

Which is the better of the above two or does anyone on the list have any
other suggested products?

The word permanent comes to mind.

..com

They act entirely differently, sodium chlorate effectively kills the ground
for years, paraquat effects only greenery (systemically) and you can replant
immediately.

Art

Old 28-09-2002, 11:32 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , DaveDay34
writes
I think you need to give us some more info.

Indeed.

If the ground is to be sued for planting afterwards then neither is the
answer - certainly not Sodium Chlorate

Glyphosphate would be better, - kills both tops and roots, so less
re-growth, and 'deactivated' on contact with soil so doesn't affect
replanting.

Mulching with black plastic permeable membrane etc. id also effective
given a little while.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 28-09-2002, 05:51 PM
anton

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote in message ...

If the ground is to be sued for planting afterwards

It's indeed a litigious society we live in nowadays ;-)

--
Anton

Old 29-09-2002, 04:03 AM
Alison

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
I think you need to give us some more info. Are you talking about using a
chemical to keep the weeds from infesting a carpark, pathway, etc? If

not, and
you want to plant anything at all in the 6 months or so after using the
chemicals, I think you may want to think again. You did say 'permanent'
though, which makes me think not.

Dave.

If you have a large cobbled area with trees/shrubs growing around it (or
even a gravel or tarmac area I guess) will the sodium chlorate wash off into
beds and kill everything, or permeate through to the tree roots? How far
does it trickle through the soil?

--A

Old 29-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Rod

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...
If you have a large cobbled area with trees/shrubs growing around it (or
even a gravel or tarmac area I guess) will the sodium chlorate wash off

into
beds and kill everything, or permeate through to the tree roots? How far
does it trickle through the soil?

That's the reason Sodium Chlorate isn't used as much as it was. It is

highly soluble and very mobile with the soil water. Use one of the
proprietary path weedkillers for such areas.

Rod

Old 29-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Rod

"Carol Russell" wrote in message

They act entirely differently, sodium chlorate effectively kills the

ground
for years, paraquat effects only greenery (systemically) and you can

replant
immediately.

Safe planting after Sodium Chlorate depends on doseage, rainfall and soil
type. Not easy to predict with any certainty.
Paraquat is Not systemic and it only kills green tissue - perennial roots
are usually undamaged. So something containing Glyphosate (Roundup etc) is a
better all round weed killer.

Rod