Old 28-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Jane Ransom

Default Environmentally Friendly Weedkiller

In article ,
Democrat writes

I did a search on Google for Sodium Chlorate and it seems that it is a
pretty nasty poison. There was a story about a gardener that was killed
using it because the wind blew it back in his face and he inhaled it.

On the containers of any of these substances, they warn you never to
spray if it is windy because the 'drift' will damage lots of other
stuff. Besides, anyone stupid enough to spray weed killer on a windy day
.. . . . well, I ask you (((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 28-09-2002, 12:39 PM
noone

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:28:19 +0100, "Democrat"
wrote:

I did a search on Google for Sodium Chlorate and it seems that it is a
pretty nasty poison. There was a story about a gardener that was killed
using it because the wind blew it back in his face and he inhaled it.

Indeed it *can* be very nasty if mis-used (like everything - even
water). Sodium chlorate can be used to make some pretty effective
explosive devices too - it is 'simply' an oxidising agent - (as can
relatively simple chemicals like saltpetre, sulphur and potash, to name
but three).

However, I would still argue that - properly used - Sodium chlorate is
an environmentally friendly weed killer - compared to paraquat,
glyphosate etc etc (well, obviously not *that* friendly to the
immediate environment of the weeds it's aimed to kill, but you know what
I mean).
Old 28-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Alan Gould

In article , noone
writes

However, I would still argue that - properly used - Sodium chlorate is
an environmentally friendly weed killer - compared to paraquat,
glyphosate etc etc (well, obviously not *that* friendly to the
immediate environment of the weeds it's aimed to kill, but you know what
I mean).

I'm not sure that I do know what you mean. Could you expand just a
little further on the environmental friendliness of Sodium Chlorate?
--
Alan Gould
Old 28-09-2002, 04:51 PM
noone

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:43:56 +0100, Alan Gould
wrote:

In article , noone
writes

However, I would still argue that - properly used - Sodium chlorate is
an environmentally friendly weed killer - compared to paraquat,
glyphosate etc etc (well, obviously not *that* friendly to the
immediate environment of the weeds it's aimed to kill, but you know what
I mean).

I'm not sure that I do know what you mean. Could you expand just a
little further on the environmental friendliness of Sodium Chlorate?

*comparative* friendliness, not absolute.