Old 28-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default Looking for Lysionothus info.

In article , Janet Galpin and Oliver
Patterson writes

No information on this but The Plant Finder lists Lysionotus pauciflorus
(second spelling) and in various forms it seems to be stocked by Crug
Farm Plants. A Google search comes up with pictures for this. It seems
to grow on the moss on trees in Japan and be a greenhouse plant. Could
'Lavender Lady' simply be a variety of this? It does seem to be lavender
coloured.
Janet G

Well I know the lady who asked has only a cold greenhouse and so I would
have assumed that she wouldn't like tender plants but thanks Janet for
the additional information, I was obviously putting too much detail into
my search!

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Roger Van Loon

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Does anyone have any information about Lysionothus Lavander Lady please?
I've been asked by an expert gardener at the local gardening club but
there seems to be nothing on the web. Google wants to spell it
Lysionotus Lavender lady but then still returns nothing!

Janet
--

No information on this but The Plant Finder lists Lysionotus pauciflorus
(second spelling) and in various forms it seems to be stocked by Crug
Farm Plants. A Google search comes up with pictures for this. It seems
to grow on the moss on trees in Japan and be a greenhouse plant. Could
'Lavender Lady' simply be a variety of this? It does seem to be lavender
coloured.
Janet G

You are quite right, Janet G.
"Lysionothus pauciflora 'Lavender Lady'" (wrongly spelled with H in
it) is in the stock list of a Dutch company: see
http://www.hogendoorn-nl.com/9cm_pots_B.htm
The RHS "Index of Garden Plants" says about Lysionotus pauciflora:
Gesneriad, E-Asia, epiphytic, flowers to 3 cm., solitary, pale
pink-mauve, Z8. (Which makes it not hardy enough for me in Belgium -
but who knows? It may be worth trying outside in Cornwall, for
example). And it should certainly do well in a cold greenhouse, I
think.
Roger.
Old 29-09-2002, 01:45 AM
[...]

I had another thought which was to look on the Crug Farm Plant site as
they offer brief descriptions and pictures. No sign of 'Lavender Lady'
but several versions of L. pauciflorus. It doesn't seem to be tender
after all. The descriptions include:

From seed we collected in the limestone mountains surrounding Sapa in
the northernmost part of Vietnam. A small evergreen suckering sub-shrub
found growing as an epiphyte on large rocks, in small pockets of humus
or moss, with small dentate dark green glossy leaves to 3cm long. Has
pendant tubular purple striped pendant scented flowers to 4cm long. Best
grown in a container in a free draining compost in part shade.
Another one says: For careful sighting, cool well drained acid, or
alpine house.

May not be the same plant but may be related and give some idea.

Janet G