Old 09-10-2004, 02:33 PM
yves

Default Apple Rootstocks in UK..

Good Evening,

Just a silly question: Is it easy to find apple rootstock for sell in UK?
I mean for a "private individual"...I don't need a "500 pieces" bunch..
I have been looking for such provider in France without success even if I
can buy any imaginable grafted apple tree without any problem.

I have done a google research and so far my only finding was a german
producer selling english rootstock (east malling) in his
french/english/german web site: nothing in France, nothing in Great Britain
so far...

Thank You for your interest,

Yves

Old 09-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Mike Lyle

yves wrote:
Good Evening,

Just a silly question: Is it easy to find apple rootstock for sell

in
UK? I mean for a "private individual"...I don't need a "500 pieces"
bunch..
I have been looking for such provider in France without success

even
if I can buy any imaginable grafted apple tree without any problem.

I have done a google research and so far my only finding was a

german
producer selling english rootstock (east malling) in his
french/english/german web site: nothing in France, nothing in Great
Britain so far...

Not a silly question at all. In case you haven't found it yourself,
have a look at the following list:

http://www.plant-seed-mailorder.org.uk/top_fruit.html

I'm not quite sure, but I think Deacon's Nurseries may have what you
want: they haven't got a working website, but there's an email
address.

Have you tried the RHS Plant Finder?

Mike.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:07 AM
JennyC

"yves" wrote in message
Good Evening,

Just a silly question: Is it easy to find apple rootstock for sell in UK?
I mean for a "private individual"...I don't need a "500 pieces" bunch..
I have been looking for such provider in France without success even if I
can buy any imaginable grafted apple tree without any problem.

I have done a google research and so far my only finding was a german
producer selling english rootstock (east malling) in his
french/english/german web site: nothing in France, nothing in Great Britain
so far...

Thank You for your interest,

Yves

You need to wait until Anton looks in here........he's the URG apple expert :~))
Jenny

Old 10-10-2004, 12:47 PM
anton

"JennyC" wrote in message

"yves" wrote in message
Good Evening,

Just a silly question: Is it easy to find apple rootstock for sell in

UK?
I mean for a "private individual"...I don't need a "500 pieces" bunch..
I have been looking for such provider in France without success even if

can buy any imaginable grafted apple tree without any problem.

You need to wait until Anton looks in here........he's the URG apple

expert :~))

apple bore is a term I'm more comfortable with,
Jenny ;-) I've downgraded myself from gardener 2nd class to gardener 3rd
class by the complete failure of 100ft-long beech hedge planted this spring.
I'm now going to do it all again, but in hornbeam I think, as it does better
in conditions of complete neglect.

The previous poster Mike had the question covered, I think- Deacons, Isle of
Wight, do rootstocks.

have fun
--
Anton

Old 10-10-2004, 03:14 PM
JennyC

"anton" wrote
"JennyC" wrote in message
"yves" wrote ..
Good Evening,
Just a silly question: Is it easy to find apple rootstock for sell in

UK? I mean for a "private individual"...I don't need a "500 pieces" bunch..
I have been looking for such provider in France without success even if

I can buy any imaginable grafted apple tree without any problem.

You need to wait until Anton looks in here........he's the URG apple

expert :~))

apple bore is a term I'm more comfortable with,
Jenny ;-)

Oh that's you to the core that is :~))))

Jenny

Old 10-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Trevor Appleton

"yves" wrote in message
Good Evening,

Just a silly question: Is it easy to find apple rootstock for sell in UK?
I mean for a "private individual"...I don't need a "500 pieces" bunch..
I have been looking for such provider in France without success even if I
can buy any imaginable grafted apple tree without any problem.

I have done a google research and so far my only finding was a german
producer selling english rootstock (east malling) in his
french/english/german web site: nothing in France, nothing in Great
Britain
so far...

Thank You for your interest,

Yves

I believe Rogers of Pickering, North Yorkshire do them

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/

Old 10-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "anton" contains these words:

apple bore is a term I'm more comfortable with,

While you're here, have you any idea of the name of an apple fitting
this description?

Small fruit.
Very early.
Magenta skin (all over) when ripe.
Crisp and sweet even when unripe.
Flattish, Tangerine-shape (and size) reminiscent of an overfilled inner-tube
Deep pit at the stalk
Less deep pit at the other end
Doesn't keep well.
strong 'fruity' scent

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
"anton" wrote
"JennyC" wrote in message
"yves" wrote ..

Good Evening,
Just a silly question: Is it easy to find apple rootstock for sell in

UK? I mean for a "private individual"...I don't need a "500 pieces"
bunch..
I have been looking for such provider in France without success
even if

I can buy any imaginable grafted apple tree without any problem.

You need to wait until Anton looks in here........he's the URG apple

expert :~))

apple bore is a term I'm more comfortable with,
Jenny ;-)

Oh that's you to the core that is :~))))

Who gives whom the pip?

Old 10-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Mike Lyle

"JennyC" wrote in message
"yves" wrote ..

Good Evening,
Just a silly question: Is it easy to find apple rootstock for
sell in
UK? I mean for a "private individual"...I don't need a "500

pieces"
bunch..
I have been looking for such provider in France without success
even if
I can buy any imaginable grafted apple tree without any problem.

You need to wait until Anton looks in here........he's the URG
apple expert :~))

apple bore is a term I'm more comfortable with,
Jenny ;-)

Oh that's you to the core that is :~))))

Who gives whom the pip?

Where does this stuff stem from? I'll just stalk out.

Mike.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

While you're here, have you any idea of the name of an apple fitting
this description?

Small fruit.
Very early.
Magenta skin (all over) when ripe.
Crisp and sweet even when unripe.
Flattish, Tangerine-shape (and size) reminiscent of an overfilled inner-tube
Deep pit at the stalk
Less deep pit at the other end
Doesn't keep well.
strong 'fruity' scent

Could it be 'Discovery'?
'Discovery' is one of the earliest (August), is deep crimson and
roundish/flattish like a tangerine/inner-tube. Mine are bigger than a
tangerine, I would say but I think size varies with conditions, age of
tree etc.
I haven't studied how deep the cavity is - and have eaten mine now, so
can't check. Apart from size, the rest fits.
Janet G

Old 10-10-2004, 11:24 PM
anton

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
[...]

Or possibly Devonshire Quarrenden, or its son Ben's Red. DQ according to
Joan Morgan's Apples: 'Distinctive flavour- of strawberries or winey to
loganberry taste...'

--
Anton

Old 10-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Galpin contains these words:
[...]

ISTR having a Discovery, and IIRC, the one I'm talking about is a much,
much deeper colour, very glossy, much more scented, and a lot smaller.

I don't know how old Discovery is, but the tree these were on must have
been planted at the beginning of last century, say, 1910-1920.

Old 11-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Janet Galpin

[...]

Definitely not 'Discovery' then, as that dates from about 1949.
Something more unsusual by the sound of it.
Janet G
Old 11-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Or possibly Devonshire Quarrenden, or its son Ben's Red. DQ according to
Joan Morgan's Apples: 'Distinctive flavour- of strawberries or winey to
loganberry taste...'

Thanks indeed. It certainly sounds like DQ - I'll investigate further.
(I want one! And a Charles Ross, and a *REAL* Cox's orange pippin, and a
Bramley, and a Codling. Oh, and a quince.)

The little red apple was 'my tree' as a boy: we had thirty-six mature
fruit trees, a few of which I hanker after having.

Having a narrow garden with a long pipe to a septic tank running down
the middle of it, now, I'll have to be careful where I plant it. 'It'
will have to be a family tree, I think, or cordons down one side. Or
let's be greedy. Both.

Another one we had which I'd like is not so easy to describe: it's a
larger apple, but not huge - about the size of the standard Golden
Disgusting you find in supermarkets (though I understand they are quite
pleasant if picked when ripe). It is slightly more pointed, and could be
slightly uneven or 'puckered' at the sharp end.

It is green with red striping, and when just approaching ripe, is crisp
and juicy with a slight mixed spice flavour, which disappears when the
fruit is fully ripe. At this stage it has white to extremely pale green
flesh.

Fully ripe, it is fairly soft and juicy, with pale cream flesh, and the
green of the skin becomes paler, almost yellow, with more red stripes.

You can't bore *ME* with apples...

Old 11-10-2004, 04:32 AM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Or possibly Devonshire Quarrenden, or its son Ben's Red. DQ according to
Joan Morgan's Apples: 'Distinctive flavour- of strawberries or winey to
loganberry taste...'

Thanks indeed. It certainly sounds like DQ - I'll investigate further.
(I want one! And a Charles Ross, and a *REAL* Cox's orange pippin,

They're supposed to be disease prone and difficult to grow in a garden.

and a
Bramley, and a Codling. Oh, and a quince.)

Another one we had which I'd like is not so easy to describe: it's a
larger apple, but not huge - about the size of the standard Golden
Disgusting you find in supermarkets (though I understand they are quite
pleasant if picked when ripe). It is slightly more pointed, and could be
slightly uneven or 'puckered' at the sharp end.

Cornish Aromatic?

It is green with red striping, and when just approaching ripe, is crisp
and juicy with a slight mixed spice flavour, which disappears when the
fruit is fully ripe. At this stage it has white to extremely pale green
flesh.

Fully ripe, it is fairly soft and juicy, with pale cream flesh, and the
green of the skin becomes paler, almost yellow, with more red stripes.

You can't bore *ME* with apples...

Presumably the wet summer, but the apples seem *huge* this year. I'm
used to herrings Pippin being large (two apples to a pound), but the
Allingtons Pippin are nearly as big, instead of being merely supermarket
apple size.
--
Kay