Old 29-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered User

Angry rockery

We have a garden shed which is built on to a five foot rockery..Every time we have heavy rain, it seeps through on to the shed floor..Is there anything we could seal the rockery with to stop this?
Old 29-09-2007, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rockery

"solaara" wrote ...

We have a garden shed which is built on to a five foot rockery..Every
time we have heavy rain, it seeps through on to the shed floor..Is
there anything we could seal the rockery with to stop this?

Like Charlie, I too am a little confused as to the actual situation but if
the shed is alongside the rockery and water comes through the side of the
shed then seal it with a pond liner between the shed and the rockery.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-09-2007, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

'Charlie Pridham[_2_ Wrote:
;750820']In article
,
says...-

We have a garden shed which is built on to a five foot rockery..Every
time we have heavy rain, it seeps through on to the shed floor..Is
there anything we could seal the rockery with to stop this?

-
I think I may have missunderstood, if the shed is on the rockery why
should rain come into the shed? (except of course the roof leaking!)or
do
you mean the rockery is piled up against one side of the shed? in which

case the solution is to build a retaining wall to hold back the rockery

then place the shed against it leaving an air gap. (would have thought

your shed would rot pretty quickly if its like that though)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

The builder actually built the shed so that the rockery would form the
fourth wall..bit of a daft idea..so there is no chance of making a
retaining wall...

Perhaps you can make a drainage channel along the base of the wall in
question going through to outside, would at least get rid of the water
coming in, you can buy the channel cheaply enough and it come with a
grating. But yes it was not one of your builders better ideas!

Old 30-09-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

solaara writes

The builder actually built the shed so that the rockery would form the
fourth wall..bit of a daft idea..so there is no chance of making a
retaining wall...

I used to live in a house built into a hill, so that on the lowest floor
the chalk rock of the hillside formed the back wall. That had simply
been plastered over.

The floor was bricks standing straight on the earth. We had a plastic
sheet over the floor, and the mat and all the furniture stood on that. I
presume the place was still damp, but as long as nothing was in direct
contact with either the floor or the back wall, nothing rotted. The
floor in question was our kitchen and main living room.

I think the difference between us and your shed was that the basic rock
was porous, so no matter how heavy the rain, we never had running water
- it all soaked into the chalk.

--
Kay

Rockery Wrighty United Kingdom 1 23-09-2003 10:47 PM
Rockery Wrighty United Kingdom 0 23-09-2003 12:16 AM
Rockery raw materials Weazle United Kingdom 0 31-05-2003 10:44 AM
Rockery JawD United Kingdom 3 07-05-2003 09:32 PM
My new rockery....but what's either side? jo United Kingdom 4 19-03-2003 06:44 PM