Old 25-10-2002, 01:19 AM
Mary Fisher

Default Bubble insulation

Well, we spend half a day installing bubble wrap insulation in the
greenhouse. It all went well and it's certainly very cosy in there now.

But what about ventilation?

We had to remove the cylinders which work the automatic vents and can't even
open the vents manually because they're shrouded by the insulation.

The louvre would be easy, just cut a panel of the insulation so that it can
be rolled up to expose the louvre. Any other ideas will be welcome.

What about the door? At the moment the bubbles hang from the sloping roof in
two pieces which part when we go through the door but if there's a better
way I'll be happy to hear it.

We're not short of bubbles, got a 50m x 800 cm (I think) roll for about £16,
it will last many years!

Mary

Old 25-10-2002, 10:10 AM
Martin Brown

Mary Fisher wrote:

Well, we spend half a day installing bubble wrap insulation in the
greenhouse. It all went well and it's certainly very cosy in there now.

But what about ventilation?

Some ventillation is a good idea. Otherwise condensation and moulds will
flourish.

I used to leave the thermostatic window openers in my heated greenhouse all
winter to avoid having sunny days get too warm. Depends on how dry the inside is
whether you will have mould problems.

We had to remove the cylinders which work the automatic vents and can't even
open the vents manually because they're shrouded by the insulation.

The louvre would be easy, just cut a panel of the insulation so that it can
be rolled up to expose the louvre. Any other ideas will be welcome.

I replaced the opening vent glass with twinwall polycarbonate. The only
disadvantage with leaving thermostatic openers on during winter is they tend to
suffer from the wax freezing and fail.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 25-10-2002, 07:13 PM
DaveDay34

What about the door? At the moment the bubbles hang from the sloping roof in
two pieces which part when we go through the door but if there's a better way
I'll be happy to hear it.

I'd suggest that you tape the bubble wrap around the door frame leaving a door
shaped hole in the bubble wrap to walk through. Then cut a piece of bubble
wrap to fit the door and tape it in place. This will keep the greenhouse snug
while allowing you to enter/exit the greenhouse without parting great expanses
of bubble wrap by hand.

I hope this makes sense, and good luck.

Dave.
Old 25-10-2002, 09:56 PM
Mary Fisher

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
What about the door? At the moment the bubbles hang from the sloping roof

in
two pieces which part when we go through the door but if there's a better

way
I'll be happy to hear it.

I'd suggest that you tape the bubble wrap around the door frame leaving a

door
shaped hole in the bubble wrap to walk through. Then cut a piece of

bubble
wrap to fit the door and tape it in place. This will keep the greenhouse

snug
while allowing you to enter/exit the greenhouse without parting great

expanses
of bubble wrap by hand.

That is the obvious thing to do - but not when it's a sliding door :-(

Thanks anyway,

Mary

Old 26-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
What about the door? At the moment the bubbles hang from the sloping
roof in two pieces which part when we go through the door but if there's
a better way I'll be happy to hear it.

I'd suggest that you tape the bubble wrap around the door frame leaving
a door shaped hole in the bubble wrap to walk through. Then cut a piece
of bubble wrap to fit the door and tape it in place. This will keep the
greenhouse snug while allowing you to enter/exit the greenhouse without
parting great expanses of bubble wrap by hand.

That is the obvious thing to do - but not when it's a sliding door :-(

Thanks anyway,

Well, that's how I did it, and it works perfectly. I have a sliding door too!

--
Anne _
)/___

Old 26-10-2002, 09:12 PM
Mary Fisher

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
[...]

Do you mean that the bubble wrap is hanging INSIDE the greenhouse? that's
virtually what we have now.

If so I'd got the wrong end of the stick, not a unique occurrence. If it
were attached to the door it would foul when the door were opened.

Incidentally, today it's been a little draughty (the storms are yet to come)
and, looking from the house, I can se the drapes of bubble wrap moving
slightly so there's obviously some ventilation.

Mary

--
Anne _
)/___

Old 26-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Well, that's how I did it, and it works perfectly. I have a sliding door

too!

Do you mean that the bubble wrap is hanging INSIDE the greenhouse? that's
virtually what we have now.

If so I'd got the wrong end of the stick, not a unique occurrence. If it
were attached to the door it would foul when the door were opened.

I actually stuck the bubble wrap inside the door with double-sided
sticky tape.

There's more than enough clearance, give the depth of the sides of the door.

--
Anne _
)/___

Old 26-10-2002, 10:15 PM
Mary Fisher

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Well, that's how I did it, and it works perfectly. I have a sliding

door
too!

Do you mean that the bubble wrap is hanging INSIDE the greenhouse?

that's
virtually what we have now.

If so I'd got the wrong end of the stick, not a unique occurrence. If it
were attached to the door it would foul when the door were opened.

I actually stuck the bubble wrap inside the door with double-sided
sticky tape.

There's more than enough clearance, give the depth of the sides of the

door.

There isn't on ours, it fits very snugly to the main body. I've been in our
gh several times today, it seems fine, I'm very pleased with it.

Mary