Old 08-11-2004, 01:07 PM
brianlb

Default wormcasts

The grass in my smallish back garden is covered in wormcasts. Can anyone
suggest how to get rid of them (especially when incessant rain keeps them
wet) and in particular how to stop new ones appearing all the time?

Jane B.
8 Nov 04

Old 08-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Emrys Davies

'Jane',

You are fortunate to have worms in your lawn as they are great aerators
of the soil and there is nothing you can do about the casts appearing.

You need a birch besom similar to the one in this site
http://www.and1e.freeserve.co.uk/ and it will enable you to scatter the
casts, preferably on a dry day, by using it with a swinging|sweeping
action. It is also a good tool for clearing your lawn of leaves and
other debris.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Emrys Davies

'Jane',

Forgot to say that when you go to Aurthur's site make sure you have your
speakers on because, apart from a nice wave, he has some pleasant music
playing.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:37 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"brianlb" wrote in message
The grass in my smallish back garden is covered in wormcasts. Can anyone
suggest how to get rid of them (especially when incessant rain keeps them
wet) and in particular how to stop new ones appearing all the time?

Sweep them with a lawn rake. You cannot stop them unless you kill the worms
which would not be a sensible thing to do.
If the lawn is always waterlogged in your small garden might it not be a
better idea to do away with the lawn?

Old 08-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Franz Heymann

"brianlb" wrote in message
The grass in my smallish back garden is covered in wormcasts. Can

anyone
suggest how to get rid of them (especially when incessant rain keeps

them
wet) and in particular how to stop new ones appearing all the time?

Be thankful for your good luck. Entice them into your flower beds by
putting rottable vegetable matter on the surfaces.

Franz

Old 08-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:49:34 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"brianlb" wrote in message
The grass in my smallish back garden is covered in wormcasts.

Can
anyone
suggest how to get rid of them (especially when incessant rain

keeps
them
wet) and in particular how to stop new ones appearing all the

time?

Be thankful for your good luck. Entice them into your flower beds

by
putting rottable vegetable matter on the surfaces.

How's your worm farm/bulb basket?

We produce roughly 500 gms of vegetable waste daily and the worms
handle it at about 50 gms per day. IOW the whole exercise is a waste
of effort.

I also planted some bulbs in a few of those planters. They are too
shallow and the openings are too large. I had to line them all with a
few layers of newspaper to prevent the compost from falling straight
out. You were quite right. They are not worth anything. For those
urglers who might wish to try them out now that they have started
appearing in a number of garden centres, they are green plastic
containers, originally produced by or for van Tubingen, the message
is: don't waste your money.

Franz

Old 09-11-2004, 07:48 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:22:04 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"brianlb" wrote in message
[...]

In fact it was my wife, who was right ... as usual.

Please don't forget to tell her that next time I will heed her
warnings.

They are not worth anything. For those
urglers who might wish to try them out now that they have started
appearing in a number of garden centres, they are green plastic
containers, originally produced by or for van Tubingen, the message
is: don't waste your money.

It's a good job you didn't buy too many.

The question now becomes: How big does a wormery have to be to be
able to process kitchen waste as fast as it is produced by a family of
2?

Franz
--
Martin

Old 09-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Gary

On 11/8/04 4:07 AM, in article ,
"brianlb" wrote:

The grass in my smallish back garden is covered in wormcasts. Can anyone
suggest how to get rid of them (especially when incessant rain keeps them
wet) and in particular how to stop new ones appearing all the time?

Jane B.
8 Nov 04

Worm castings are high in nutrients needed by plants. By happy you have
them...there are many who do not. If you must disperse them drag a heavy
chain over them, use a rake or look at them and say "Wow, look at the work
my worms are doing! 24-7". Then, be happy! Watch for them every day and if
anyone drops in, take them out to your yard and show them how hard your
worms are working...your friends will be envious and will wonder "How does
she do that?" Tell them it's a family secret...and when you find out what
the secret is tell them.
Gary

Old 09-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
Gary
Just dont stand on them, the compacted soil is difficult for grass to grow through.

I leave them as the rain washes them away in the end