Cutting back hardy fsuchias

Old 24-10-2002, 05:57 PM
Peter

Default Cutting back hardy fsuchias

I have 2 hardy small flowered fuschias about 3 -4 ft high. Can I cut them
back, should I, if so when?

Thanks

Peter

Old 24-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Emrys Davies

'Peter',

Cut them back to ground level in the spring. By then the frost will
have caused most of the stems to die and go rotten, but cut or break
them all off regardless.

The best time to do it is when the frosts and cold winds have ceased
because, in the meantime, the old wood offers some protection to the
base of the plant from where the new growth will emerge.

A late frost will often nip the new growth but you can prevent that by
covering it with newspaper, fleece or the like but if you fail to take
action not to worry as the plant will soon recover and give a good show.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 25-10-2002, 06:39 AM
Robert

I would not cut them back. Wait till they start shooting in the spring and
nipoff the dead bits otherwise you're waiting till late summer for them to
flower

Old 25-10-2002, 09:47 AM

"Robert" wrote in message
: I would not cut them back. Wait till they start shooting in the spring and
: nipoff the dead bits otherwise you're waiting till late summer for them to
: flower
:
: "Peter" wrote in message
: ...
: I have 2 hardy small flowered fuschias about 3 -4 ft high. Can I cut
them
: back, should I, if so when?
:
: Thanks
:
: Peter
:
epends how much room you have. If I didn't hard prune mine every spring,
they would have taken over by now. What's wrong will the flowers in late
summer? Mine are still blooming now (sw London).

Old 25-10-2002, 09:48 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Peter" wrote in message
I have 2 hardy small flowered fuschias about 3 -4 ft high. Can I cut them
back, should I, if so when?

Thanks

Peter

You don't have to do it until the spring, seems a shame to do it now when
they are still in full flower and will be until Christmas with a bit of luck
:~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-10-2002, 10:58 AM
richard smith

"Peter" wrote in message
I have 2 hardy small flowered fuschias about 3 -4 ft high. Can I cut them
back, should I, if so when?

Thanks

Peter

Hello Peter
I cut mine back in March,first to keep them in control and second to offer
some protection to the base of the plant over winter.If you live in a mild
area this may not be necessary but cut back as late as poss.

regards
Richard

Old 25-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Peter

Thanks to everyone. It was really a case of letting the dog see the rabbit
as they are a bit to big for where they are. However one has rather fine
redish stems and is still flowering. The other is variagated and seems to
have given up on the flowering for the time being.

I think I'll leave them be for t time bein.

Peter
"richard smith" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
I have 2 hardy small flowered fuschias about 3 -4 ft high. Can I cut

them
back, should I, if so when?

Thanks

Peter

Hello Peter
I cut mine back in March,first to keep them in control and second to offer
some protection to the base of the plant over winter.If you live in a mild
area this may not be necessary but cut back as late as poss.

regards
Richard

Advice on Cutting Back Severely jim evans Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Question about cutting back St. John's Wort spampot Gardening 4 31-03-2003 12:44 PM
Can nemesia be hardy? Caren Gardening 0 17-03-2003 01:56 PM
Cutting Back This Bareroot Rose Cdonahey41 Roses 1 13-03-2003 10:45 PM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM