Old 23-11-2004, 01:15 PM
andrewpreece

Default Still in Bloom

Here in Devon I find that the weather is fooling some plants. I have two
delphiniums in bloom ( they were late in, mind ) a hollyhock (second time
out ), rosemary, and wallflowers all in bloom, and a ceanothus about to
burst out in bloom, plus the blackberry bushes are blossoming again. This is
in addition to the usual suspects e.g. penstemons, nasturtiums, a hebe,
roses, lavatera, brachycombs and passion flowers. My agyranthemums (sp?) are
still in bloom, and the final chrysanthemum is in full spate. I can't help
feeling they should have made more of an effort in the summer when it was
enjoyable being in the garden!

Andy.

Old 24-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Sacha

On 23/11/04 12:15, in article , "andrewpreece"
wrote:

Here in Devon I find that the weather is fooling some plants. I have two
delphiniums in bloom ( they were late in, mind ) a hollyhock (second time
out ), rosemary, and wallflowers all in bloom, and a ceanothus about to
burst out in bloom, plus the blackberry bushes are blossoming again. This is
in addition to the usual suspects e.g. penstemons, nasturtiums, a hebe,
roses, lavatera, brachycombs and passion flowers. My agyranthemums (sp?) are
still in bloom, and the final chrysanthemum is in full spate. I can't help
feeling they should have made more of an effort in the summer when it was
enjoyable being in the garden!

Andy.

Yes, we find that we still have a lot of things blooming in the garden and
we're surprised at how many trees still have a lot of leaves on, despite a
couple of sharp frosts.
Apparently, fruit tree suppliers and hedging suppliers are only just
starting to dig their plants.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Annette

wrote:

Here in Devon I find that the weather is fooling some plants. I have two
delphiniums in bloom ( they were late in, mind ) a hollyhock (second time
out ), rosemary, and wallflowers all in bloom, and a ceanothus about to
burst out in bloom, plus the blackberry bushes are blossoming again.

Here in Worthing, we've had a papaver Patty's Plum produce two
incredible flowers this week (last week of November). Our eryngiums
are still flowering, as are gaillardias, antirrhinums, lychnis, a few
hollyhocks, and the cape daisies (predictably) and a few others.

A.

www.gardenopoly.co.uk - great things for garden lovers.
Old 28-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Sacha

On 27/11/04 20:24, in article
, "Annette"
wrote:

. uk...
wrote:

Here in Devon I find that the weather is fooling some plants. I have two
delphiniums in bloom ( they were late in, mind ) a hollyhock (second time
out ), rosemary, and wallflowers all in bloom, and a ceanothus about to
burst out in bloom, plus the blackberry bushes are blossoming again.

Here in Worthing, we've had a papaver Patty's Plum produce two
incredible flowers this week (last week of November). Our eryngiums
are still flowering, as are gaillardias, antirrhinums, lychnis, a few
hollyhocks, and the cape daisies (predictably) and a few others.

A.

www.gardenopoly.co.uk - great things for garden lovers.

I did a bit more of a 'trawl' today and found several Salvias in bloom,
Amecia zygomeris, Hydrangeas, Hypericum, Roses of different kinds, Myrtles,
Gordonia, Rhododendron nobleanum (sp?) Cephalaria gigantica, and several
other bits and bobs including many, many Fuchsias. We have also had
Forsythia in bloom and as Ray says, is it early or late?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-11-2004, 02:46 AM
Klara

In message , Sacha
writes
On 27/11/04 20:24, in article
, "Annette"
wrote:

. uk...
wrote:

[...]

The pulmonarias and others are sprouting brand new leaves - as, indeed,
are the cleavers. The jasminum polyanthum (outside, on a western wall)
is full of buds - though whether it'll make it beyond that stage is
questionable.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 28-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Dave Poole

I had a bit of a 'ferret-about' yesterday and a small patch of
large-flowered, pink Freesia laxa (Anomatheca cruenta in 'old money')
were cheerily waving 12" high wands of flower in the light breeze.
They must be late flowerers from this year's germinated seedlings, for
they certainly weren't there last year. I'm quite pleased about them,
because I only had a single pink flowered hybrid originally and it has
obviously interbred with the large scarlets which have spread
themselves about with almost embarrassing abandon. 2 years ago a few
nice whites popped up and I suspect that these new ones may be progeny
from them. Still some Fuchsias doing their stuff - especially
seedling F. boliviensis and arborea, which happily send up sturdy
youngsters from previous year's berries.

Not out of season, but exciting (for me at least) is a hybrid
Plectranthus that I shoved into a vacant spot near to the back door a
few years ago. It is the almost black leaved 'Blue Angel' which has
ultra deep green leaves, intense magenta purple on the reverse and
glorious spikes of large, sky blue flowers in winter. Supposedly very
tender and only sporadically introduced as a pot plant about 3 or 4
years ago, the plant has now formed a waist high clump against the
wall and looks set to create a very fetching display for Christmas.
This will be its first flowering out of doors for me.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 28-11-2004, 11:17 AM
McCready

"Annette" wrote in message
om...
. uk...
wrote:

Here in Devon I find that the weather is fooling some plants. I have
two
delphiniums in bloom ( they were late in, mind ) a hollyhock (second
time
out ), rosemary, and wallflowers all in bloom, and a ceanothus about to
burst out in bloom, plus the blackberry bushes are blossoming again.

Here in Worthing, we've had a papaver Patty's Plum produce two
incredible flowers this week (last week of November). Our eryngiums
are still flowering, as are gaillardias, antirrhinums, lychnis, a few
hollyhocks, and the cape daisies (predictably) and a few others.

A.

www.gardenopoly.co.uk - great things for garden lovers.

My Gazania's are in bloom again.
And my Yucca Tree has flower stalks again.

Almost full bloom still one more at least to come of this - IMG_0814a.jpg joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 4 08-09-2013 12:25 AM
Roses still in bloom Scotkat Roses 2 13-10-2007 10:43 AM
Cardinal Flower- Can I trim it back and still have it bloom? Andyd Texas 0 20-06-2005 09:33 PM
Are roses still in bloom in Portland in Sept.? Ellie O'Donnell Roses 2 06-08-2004 04:39 PM