Old 19-11-2002, 09:17 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default potting up shrubs now?

I know I should know this but am never sure.
I haven't got round to potting up several shrubs into larger pots. Most
are in large 15 inch pots and bigger but do I wait until spring or do I
tempt fate and pot them into large accommodation now? If I recall the
argument was that the roots wouldn't be settled in by the time the cold
weather starts so I ought to wait, but does that apply to stuff such as
Sarcococca and other evergreens?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Peter Stockdale

Hello Janet
In general shrub potting-on is best left till the Spring, unless you have
the facility of providing springlike conditions now in the form of heat
and/or light.(i.e.greenhouse or conservatory)
Pete - Nanneys Bridge Nursery - Cheshire

Old 19-11-2002, 07:14 PM
DaveDay34

I know I should know this but am never sure.
I haven't got round to potting up several shrubs into larger pots. Most
are in large 15 inch pots and bigger but do I wait until spring or do I
tempt fate and pot them into large accommodation now? If I recall the
argument was that the roots wouldn't be settled in by the time the cold
weather starts so I ought to wait, but does that apply to stuff such as
Sarcococca and other evergreens?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

What are the other evergreens? In general trees and shrubs should be moved and
planted in winter with a few provisos, such as the ground not being waterlogged
and/or frozen, etc. Basically, they can be moved from when they're first
dormant and the growth has stopped, or slowed right down, to when the growth is
just starting again in the spring as the weather warms up again. Taller trees
and shrubs will need some support to stop the roots from rocking or the plant
being totally uprooted should there be a strong enough wind. Very small shrubs
are unlikely to need any support. If you're planting into larger pots/planting
out the roots are likely to have greater protection from frosts than they have
at present. All in all though, you have a large window of opportunity to pot
up/on.

Dave.
Old 20-11-2002, 09:51 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , DaveDay34
writes

What are the other evergreens?

Well in general I have things such as Hollies, Myrtle, Box, and things
like Abutilons, lots of salvias, Hebes etc which kept growing so are too
large for the pots I put them in at the beginning of the summer. (Well I
kept hoping we'd fins a new house by now!)

In general trees and shrubs should be moved and
planted in winter with a few provisos, such as the ground not being waterlogged
and/or frozen, etc.

Yes I can understand that but I thought there was an argument that
potting them up might disturb the outer roots and they would succumb to
frost.
Basically, they can be moved from when they're first
dormant and the growth has stopped, or slowed right down, to when the growth is
just starting again in the spring as the weather warms up again.

Well what about shrubs that flower in winter, they must have a flow of
sap to regulate flower opening surely? Chiomnathus, Sarcococca,
Hamamelis and so on.