Old 23-11-2002, 12:37 AM
Warwick

Default Moving Roses.

Begin ,
quote...
In message , William
Anderson writes

Could anyone tell me if its ok to move my rose bushes now. We are having
some trees removed from the garden and if i leave the roses where thay are
they will be damaged. Could i put them in large pots and replant later? if
so when is the best time to replant?.

Now, late autumn, is a perfect time to be (trans)planting roses and
indeed most shrubs. They will then spend the winter settling their roots
into their new positions without the stresses of needing to supply
nutrients for the growing top growth. The only thing to note really is
that it is inadvisable to replant any of the roses into a place
previously occupied by another rose.

Does that count if putting them back in the same space?

I'm not personally in the position to move any to try (our only rose is
a patio job in a pot), but does the rule work if you take it out and put
it back int he same place?

To the original poster. There isn't a lot in the garden I'd hesitate to
move about now apart from the spring bulbs that will be flowering next
week with current conditions. The thing about moving Roses around is
odd, but nastily true. After taking them up, ensure that they don't got
back into another's soil. The soil that a rose has occupied is not soil
that another rose can live in. I'd guess it is plant specific so you
should be able to put them back where they were or in newly dug soil.

If you want to take advantage of the possibilities presented by the
missing trees and move the roses around you should only plant the roses
in fresh places and not in places previously inhabited by another rose.
A rose in the bed of a previous occupant will not have a happy time.

Warwick-- see google for more
Old 23-11-2002, 04:50 PM
Anne Wheeldon

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Warwick
writes
The only thing to note really is
that it is inadvisable to replant any of the roses into a place
previously occupied by another rose.

Does that count if putting them back in the same space?

I'm not personally in the position to move any to try (our only rose is
a patio job in a pot), but does the rule work if you take it out and
put it back int he same place?

AIUI, putting the same rose back into the same place from which it was
previously removed would be fine - that's why I used the word 'another'.

--
dave @ stejonda

I've always wondered about this. I mean if you've got a rose garden, like
David Austin for example, surely you replace roses if they die or get
diseased or whatever. You can't just leave a big gap or plant something
totally different. Probably you need to replace the soil and ensure there's
adequate nutrients to replace what went before, but I'm sure it must be
possible.

And in the wild roses must reseed themselves or sucker all round their
parents without suffering too much, otherwise there wouldn't be any for
breeders to breed from.

Just a thought. Probably rubbish! ;-)
Anne

calculate your ecological footprint

http://www.lead.org/leadnet/footprint/

LINDA WEST of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery and she likes to put peoples names on moving contracts without there Knowledge. Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage Movers & Relocation Dublin,ca & concord,ca 925) 876-7441, 925-887- vinkovci United Kingdom 1 11-10-2005 10:48 PM
MOVING-help w/ moving fish and temporary pond Judi9000 Ponds 9 25-05-2004 03:02 AM
Moving Roses Norton Roses 6 21-11-2003 04:02 AM
Moving standard roses dave gore 2002 United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 02:32 PM
Moving roses when the ground is frozen ?? Trevor Ylisaari Roses 0 15-03-2003 01:08 AM