Does anyone know when the best time is to take privet hedge cuttings.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:14 PM
tom

Default Does anyone know when the best time is to take privet hedge cuttings.

Does anyone know when the best time is to take privet hedge cuttings.
I need to grow a few as i havw gaps in one (a varigated) and need to
lengthen the run of another one (a green one).

I have a greenhouse if that helps?

thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Martin Sykes

"tom" wrote in message
Does anyone know when the best time is to take privet hedge cuttings.
I need to grow a few as i havw gaps in one (a varigated) and need to
lengthen the run of another one (a green one).

I have a greenhouse if that helps?

thanks

I took semi-ripe ones in late summer a couple of years back and heeled them
in in a bit of spare ground over winter. I got about 30-40% to take. You
could probably take some now, stick them in a pot of sandy soil in the
greenhouse and you'd get some to root as the temperature rises over the next
few months.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 08-02-2005, 04:30 PM
tom

I took semi-ripe ones in late summer a couple of years back and heeled them
in in a bit of spare ground over winter. I got about 30-40% to take. You
could probably take some now, stick them in a pot of sandy soil in the
greenhouse and you'd get some to root as the temperature rises over the next
few months.

Thanks Martin,
How long should the cuttings be?
Should they have all the leaves on or should some be taken off?
Do I need to use rooting hormone?

Thanks very much.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Martin Sykes

tom" wrote in message

I took semi-ripe ones in late summer a couple of years back and heeled
them
in in a bit of spare ground over winter. I got about 30-40% to take. You
could probably take some now, stick them in a pot of sandy soil in the
greenhouse and you'd get some to root as the temperature rises over the
next
few months.

Thanks Martin,
How long should the cuttings be?
Should they have all the leaves on or should some be taken off?
Do I need to use rooting hormone?

Thanks very much.

About 12-18 inches long, strip the leaves off the bottom half to two thirds
and stick in the sandy soil. I wouldn't bother with rooting hormone and I
remember from a discussion a while ago that the stuff sold to home gardeners
doesn't really help the rooting but does contain a fungicide which helps
stop softer cuttings from rotting. I doubt it does any good at all on
hardwood cuttings. Keep them just moist but don't overwater.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

"

Old 23-05-2006, 08:30 PM

Location: Aberdeenshire
Smile

Hi there,

I have read the tips about privet hedging, but can anybody tell me "WHEN" it is best to try and take the cuttings ??

We recently moved into a house which has a hedge up only one side (the ex tenants dug up the rest 6 months ago) and we would like to have the hedge the rest of the way round.

How do we get going and get it started and when should we start ?? Also how big do we have to leave the cuttings to grow to before we plant them round the garden ??

Please somebody help as neither my partner or myself are gardeners, but would like to learn