Old 16-12-2002, 10:48 AM
Paul D.Smith

Default Watering Xmas tree

Pot grown tree, about 5ft to very top, in a room at 18C. How much water
should I give it and how often in the hope it might see out the holiday
season and get "planted out"?

And how would you recommend I "plant it out"? It would be great if I could
re-use it next year, but if a garden feature is the best I can get, so be
it.

Paul DS.

P.S. I know, nasty thing to do to a pine, but if it survives, at least it's
better than just chopping it off at the knees.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 16-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:48:40 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

Pot grown tree, about 5ft to very top, in a room at 18C. How much water
should I give it and how often in the hope it might see out the holiday
season and get "planted out"?

And how would you recommend I "plant it out"? It would be great if I could
re-use it next year, but if a garden feature is the best I can get, so be
it.

Paul DS.

P.S. I know, nasty thing to do to a pine, but if it survives, at least it's
better than just chopping it off at the knees.

A lot depends on how wet the soil is that you plant the tree in. I
usually find that I'm effectively planting my Christmas tree in mud -
so I never water it.
Then again, I don't have central heating - so maybe that helps.

The last tree I had with roots ( dug it up myself to maximize the
amount of root ) did me for three years until it started to get
shabby.
I shamelessly tossed it out into a rough patch in the garden - where
its still growing ( a little forlornly, it has to be said ).

I find it attracts ladybirds early on in the year.

As for planting it out - you can sink it in the ground in its pot. If
it gets too straggly to be brought indoors next year ( just lift it
out, pot and all ) then unpot it and replant it. To be honest though,
once they get like that they're not very attractive; and they seldom
recover.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 16-12-2002, 08:33 PM
Sarah Dale

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:48:40 +0000, Paul D.Smith wrote:

Pot grown tree, about 5ft to very top, in a room at 18C. How much water
should I give it and how often in the hope it might see out the holiday
season and get "planted out"?

Paul,

At LEAST one pint a day should keep it going, preferably 2 pints. Make
sure you have it in a "saucer" to catch any overflow, and to help it soak
up from the bottom. The more drink an Xmas tree has (without being
waterlogged), the more it will keep its needles, and the better it will
look.

NB - water straight out of the tap is fine for your Xmas tree.

Sarah

Old 17-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Pam

Sarah Dale wrote:

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:48:40 +0000, Paul D.Smith wrote:

Pot grown tree, about 5ft to very top, in a room at 18C. How much water
should I give it and how often in the hope it might see out the holiday
season and get "planted out"?

Paul,

At LEAST one pint a day should keep it going, preferably 2 pints. Make
sure you have it in a "saucer" to catch any overflow, and to help it soak
up from the bottom. The more drink an Xmas tree has (without being
waterlogged), the more it will keep its needles, and the better it will
look.

NB - water straight out of the tap is fine for your Xmas tree.

We sell many live trees for the Christmas holidays at my nursery and we
recommend watering them via the ice method: unmold a tray of ice cubes from
your freezer onto the top of the pot twice a day. The ice cubes melt down
moderately, allowing the water to penetrate into the root ball without
saturating or overflow. And they help to keep the roots cool! Be sure to keep
your live tree in the house for a minimal period of time - 7-10 days maximum
is recommended to keep trees in good health - and keep it away from sources of
heat. Transition it back to outdoors by placing it in a somewhat protected
area for a couple of days before it resumes its place in the elements, either
in the ground or in a suitably sized pot.

pam - gardengal

Old 17-12-2002, 04:04 PM
PaulK

Sarah Dale wrote:

The more drink an Xmas tree has (without being
waterlogged), the more it will keep its needles, and the better it will
look.

Do I take it that a Scots Pine would need a wee dram with its water but
Nordic trees might prefer vodka?

pk

Old 17-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:31:41 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

A lot depends on how wet the soil is that you plant the tree in. I
usually find that I'm effectively planting my Christmas tree in mud -
so I never water it.
Then again, I don't have central heating - so maybe that helps.

I mentioned this thread to my wife..... she said " Yes, you're right,
YOU never water it....I do ".
Oops... about half a pint a day, apparently.

........and she knows it's me who's been nicking the chocolates of the
tree too.

Curses!

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

xmas fairy, naure and celtic themed spam Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 6 27-11-2003 03:02 PM
Happy Xmas to you all - thank you for hours of happy listening Maryanne North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:44 PM
Xmas Trees David Berry United Kingdom 1 26-12-2002 04:14 PM
Happy Xmas david United Kingdom 1 26-12-2002 02:37 PM
xmas gifts david United Kingdom 9 17-12-2002 11:22 PM